Sigma Phi Epsilon Starts Campus Chapter

News Briefs

Another fraternity has sprung up at Harvard, continuing the trend of increased unofficial Greek life on campus.

Within the last two weeks, the national council of Sigma Phi Epsilon recognized a new local chapter at the College. Monday night, a pledging ceremony for the chapter's initial members took place under the auspices of the national council.

According to fraternity member Wayne W. Yu '92, approximately 20 students pledged last night.

Studying at Harvard, "you start to realize what you're missing," said Yu, referring to the lack of Greek life at the College.

"The key thing about frats is the people in them," he said. "We have a great mix of people, and the common theme is that we are all looking for this sense of camaraderie often absent at Harvard."

One goal of the fraternity, according to Yu, is to provide "positive things for individuals, the University community and the community at large."

Yu said the chapter is planning community service activities, charity events and possibly a tutoring program. For the present, the chapter has elected interim officers to work over the summer, mainly on the fall rush and on the chapter's relations with the fraternity's alumni board.