‘It’s a Limbo’: Grad Students, Frustrated by Harvard’s Response to Bullying Complaint, Petition for Reform

Community Groups Promote Vaccine Awareness Among Cambridge Residents of Color

Students Celebrate Upcoming Harvard-Yale Game at CEB Spirit Week

Harvard Epidemiologist Michael Mina Resigns, Appointed Chief Science Officer at eMed

Harvard Likely to Loosen Campus Covid Restrictions in the Spring, Garber Says

Japanese Religious Leader Visits Rudenstine

News Briefs

By Philip P. Pan

A Japanese religious leader toured the Harvard campus and paid a courtesy call to President Neil L. Rudenstine yesterday.

Daisaku Ikeda, the founder of Soka University in Tokyo, met with Rudenstine for about 20 minutes yesterday afternoon.

Ikeda, president of the world peace organization Soka Gakkai International and author of several books on Buddhism, civilization, life and peace, was accompanied by a large entourage of followers, assistants, photographers and security personnel.

According to University Marshal Richard M. Hunt, Rudenstine and Ikeda discussed "the affairs of the world" and other topics.

Hunt said that Ikeda knew a lot about Rudenstine's background. "He had obviously done his homework. I think Neil was a little surprised," Hunt chuckled.

"He's very impressive man. He's very quick-witted," Ford Foundation Professor of International Studies Emeritus John D. Montgomery said of Ikeda after the meeting.

Montgomery said Ikeda was planning on building a Soka University campus on 600 acres of land he purchased in California.

Ikeda was scheduled to deliver a speech at the Kennedy School of Government at 6 p.m. last night.