MTV'S Shore Shoots in Yard

'Pauly the Weasel' Jokes With Holworthy Hall First-Years

By Ivy A. Wang, Contributing Reporter

Some students living without their MTV finally got their wish this weekend--even if it lasted only for a day.

Pauly Shore, one of the music channel's wacky personalities, waltzed through Harvard Yard on Sunday in preparation for his "Totally Pauly" segment that will air next Tuesday.

Armed with microphone and camera, Shore, known as "Pauly the Weasel," joked with some first-years and asked them about the myths of the College.

Maya Arison '96 and Kathy M. Kaminski '96 said they were walking by Harvard Hall when they spotted Shore in action.

Shore stopped filming after noticing Kaminski's Harvard sweatshirt and asked whether the two were Harvard students, Kaminski said.

Seizing the moment, they invited Shore and his crew into Arison's Holworthy room to show him the inside of a Harvard dormitory.

After examining some personal possessions on his way into Holworthy 22, including a roommate's diary, Shore bantered with Kaminski, Arison, Jessica C. Schell '96 and Jehane Noujaim '96.

"We were so embarrassed by how we looked and what we said," Arison said.

Schell, one of Arison's roommates, said she was relaxing in her room when Shore's visit surprised her.

"He was psyched that our room was messy. Hesaid things like, `You're just like normalpeople,' "Schell said.

The disorderly state of their bedrooms debunkedonly one of the many Harvard stereotypes suggestedby Shore.

After teasing a student for sporting asweatshirt instead of a coat and tie, thecelebrity asked the students if high SAT scoresand 4.0 grade point averages in high school arenecessary for admission, Kaminski said.

"He even commented, `So there are no parties atHarvard, right?'" Kaminski said.

Walker P. Allen '96, Ellie E. Malone '96 andLindsay H. Tomenson '96 of Holworthy 23 missed thesighting, but they tried their best to bring Shoreback with a sheet and a few cans of spray paint.

"We didn't see him, so we put up the sign inhopes that he would come [Monday]," Tomenson said.

The sign, which was still hanging out thewindow yesterday, read, "Pauly the Weasel--YourNo.1 Harvard Fans. Come Visit Top Floor. We [Love]You."

Shore shows up in various parts of the countryto interview locals, giving viewers a taste ofdifferent perspectives and lifestyles. Shore isalso known for his role in the movie "Encino Man."

Shore had stopped in Massachusetts en route toPennsylvania for "The Wease Jew Tour II: This TimeIt's Per...sonal" tour at Paramount Theater inSpringfield, Mass