Class of 1993 Selects Eight Marshals

Seniors Choose Prasad, Chowdhury to Organize Class Activities, Fundraising

By Susan S. Shin, Contributing Reporter

Maitri Chowdhury and Mukesh Prasad have been elected first class marshals for the Class of 1993 as the top vote-getters in the two-round elections held this month.

The other class marshals are Paul A. Dufays, Michael L. Hill and Harry J. Wilson for Harvard, and Allison G. Oaks, Kristin M. O'Neil and Natosha O. Reid for Radcliffe, according to the Alumni Office.

Class marshals organize senior class activities, select the Class Day speaker, and coordinate class fundraising after graduation.

Chowdhury said she welcomes her responsibilities as Radcliffe's first class marshal.

"I'm really excited about it, getting to know a lot of my classmates, organizing a lot of things we can do together," she said.

Chowdhury, an economics and Sanskrit and Indian studies concentrator, is a resident of Leverett House and Yonkers, N.Y.

Among other activities, she has been a First-Year Outdoor Program (FOP) leader, served as social committee co-chair on the Undergraduate Council, and is a member of the South Asian Association.

Chowdhury said her years at Harvard have been "really busy, but a lot of fun."

Prasad, who has also kept himself occupied, said he looks forward to bringing the senior class together.

"I'm excited about what the year holds for us," said Prasad, a Quincy House resident from Rochester, Mich. "I'm psyched to build class spirit and to work with the class committee."

Prasad is a government concentrator with a focus on South Asia who has plans for medical school.

He is a director of CityStep, a coordinator of the Freshman Dean student search committee, former co-president of the South Asian Association, publicity chair of the Quincy House Committee, and a member of Model UnitedNations.

Several of the newly elected class marshalssaid they welcomed the position as a way to keepin touch with their classmates and the universityafter graduation.

"It's a considerable responsibility, but it's alot of contact with Harvard after I graduate,"said Dufays, a Kirkland House resident fromOttawa, Canada, and an Earth and PlanetarySciences concentrator.

"We want to give our class what they reallyenjoy," he said. "We hope they'll talk to us abouttheir ideas."

Reid, a Cabot House resident from Miami, Fla.,and a government concentrator, said she wasexcited about meeting more people in her class.

"This is a way to cap off a nice senior year,"she said. "I enjoy leadership positions to theextent that it lets me be involved with things andallows me to put my best effort forth to make adifference."

Some marshals yesterday were already talkingabout specific plans for the Class of 1993.

Dufays said he wants to bring the bandChucklehead to perform at Harvard. He also said heplans to sponsor frequent Senior Bar parties.

Chowdhury said she would like to plan a springbreak trip for the entire class. "I'd like to haveeveryone on the same island or at least in thesame part of the world," she said