Islamic Society Aids Bosnia

Gathers Warm Clothes to Help Refugees Through Winter

By Rebecca M. Wand, Contributing Reporter

The Harvard Islamic Society collected warm clothing on campus this week to send to Bosnian refugees, who are expected to face an unusually cold winter this year.

The society asked students to donate jackets, blankets and other clothing from Wednesday through yesterday outside the dining halls at the Union and at Dunster, Quincy, Currier and Leverett houses.

The group will combine the contents of the 12 boxes it collected with donations from the Islamic Society of Boston, said Omar M. Maabreh '94, president of the Harvard Islamic Society. He said members of Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel helped his organization in the effort.

Maabreh said he hopes the drive helped students to recognize the suffering of the Bosnians.

"Not too many Harvard students are dying from the cold," Maabreh said. "There are people out there we can help."

According to a flyer distributed this week at the collection tables, there will be an urgent need for warm clothing in Bosnia this winter because the harsh season expected could kill some 400,000 refugees.

Even if Bosnia experiences a mild winter, at least 147,000 refugees are expected to die, according to the flyer.

For that reason, Uzma Ahmad '96 said the clothing drive was particularly urgent.

"It is really important that the drive be held right now," said Ahmad, who helped collect items at the Union.

"There are refugees who have only what they have on their backs."

Both Ahmad and Maabreh said they felt students' contributions were important even if they help only a small percentage of the refugees.

"In some small way, every item of clothing will help a specific person in Bosnia and make a difference," Ahmad said.