Prof. Was 'Up Front' With Company Ties

Drake Disclosed Financial Dealings

By Ivan Oransky, Crimson Staff Writer

A Harvard Medical School physician, criticized earlier this week for improper promotion of a drug used to combat wrinkles, has been "up front" with her financial ties with the drug's manufacturer, a Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) spokesperson said yesterday.

A congressional report released Monday accused Assistant Professor of Dermatology Dr. Lynn A. Drake, who works at MGH, of promoting Retin A for the treatment of wrinkles despite the fact that the drug is only approved for treating acne.

But hospital spokesperson Martin S. Bander said yesterday that at the key event in question, a June 1988 press conference on Retin A, Drake merely sought to dispel media hype claiming Retin A was a miracle drug which could take 20 years off a person's appearance.

At the conference, Drake said the drug would not cure deeper wrinkles, but is safe and effective for the treatment of fine wrinkles, according to Bander.

The dermatologist may, however, be in violation of a two-year old Medical School conflict of interest policy for accepting payments from drug companies for appearances, an official there said yesterday.

Drake received $2,000 plus travel expenses from Johnson and Johnson, Retin A's manufacturer, for moderating a January 1988 press conference,

Bander also said Drake was committed to herappearance at the press conference before she cameto the Medical School and MGH, and she notifiedofficials of the appearances upon her arrival in1988.

In addition, Drake told the Food and DrugAdministration later that year that she could nolonger serve on an advisory committee on Retin Abecause of her involvement with the drug'smanufacturer, Bander said.

Bander also said the congressional subcommitteewhich issued the report never actually discussedthe physician's connections to Johnson and Johnsonwith Drake herself.

Drake, currently on a lecture circuit in thesoutheast U.S., could not be reached for commentyesterday