Gridders' Slump To End Today

By Justin R.P. Ingersoll, Crimson Staff Writer

If there ever was a time to break a six-game losing streak, it's today.

The Harvard football team (1-6 overall, 1-3 Ivy) gets a chance to notch its first victory since September 19 today at the Stadium, when it faces a feeble Brown squad (0-7, 0-4).

The Crimson has not lost in five years to the Bears, and today (barring a catastrophe) should be no exception.

Brown is awful.

You think that Harvard has no offensive line? You should see the Bad News Bears, who are currently enduring some heavy existential angst.

Our whole offensive line is brand new this year and in the seventh game they're still learning who they are," Brown Coach Mickey Kwiatkowski said.

The veteran Harvard defense should repel the inexperienced line, and harry Brown's senior quarterback Bill Pienias.

Which is not easy to do. Pienias is a tough signal-caller like Harvard's Mike Giardi, and passes for 181.8 yards per game. His persistence in the face of adversity has earned such respect and admiration, that his coach has taken to verse to praise him.

Kwiatkowski penned a profile of his favorite quarterback, which will appear in the the program for the Dartmouth-Brown game.

Brown also boasts a decent running game in the figure of Brett Brown, a fine back who is averaging 129.3 yards per game and has accumulated 905 for the season.

The Bear defense, however, has been hibernating. Brown is allowing 254.6 rushing yards per game, and is just waiting to be exploited.

Last year, Harvard fullback Matt Johnson '92 racked up an Ivy League record 323 yards om Jarvard's disturbingly close 35-29 victory in Providence, R.I.

Today, Harvard can finally revive its dormant ground game. Look for Captain Robb Hirsch to post big numbers.

Carpe Diem, Crimson.