Snow Halts Escort Service, Shuttle Buses

Students Stranded After Saturday Formals, Forced to Walk to Quad

Both the Harvard escort service and the shuttle buses stopped operating Saturday due to dangerous driving conditions, leaving some students stranded far from their houses.

Chief of Harvard Police Paul E. Johnson decided to close the escort service at about 10 p.m. after one driver reported "spinning out" and others reported dangerously slippery conditions, said Sgt. William K. Donaldson, the Harvard Police supervisor on duty Saturday night.

"We stopped running for the safety of students and drivers and the community at large," he said. "We regret the inconvenience."

The shuttle bus stopped running at 3 p.m., while the vans for the handicapped ran until after 4 p.m., said Richard W. Aufiero, who was driving the shuttle bus Saturday afternoon. "It wasn't safe to drive with students," he said.

Since a number of houses scheduled fall dances for Saturday night, many students were left stranded in the slush in full formal wear. Leverett, Eliot, Adams and Lowell were among the houses holding dances that night.


Yan Li '95 said she had to walk from the Science Center to Cabot House, while Donna S. Rabin '93 said she had to call a cab to get from Cabot House to Leverett House.

Rabin said she usually uses the shuttle bus "because of safety."

Harvard Police cruisers did transport some students. A handicapped person was taken from Mt. Auburn St. to Cronkite Center at 11:30 p.m., Donaldson said.

"I'm not surprised to hear it closed down," said Mark I. Osborn '93, who rode the escort service at 7:30 p.m. Osborn, who is a shuttle bus driver but was not driving Saturday night, said the roads were dangerously slippery at that time.

A Cambridge police cruiser was hit by another car at the corner of Linden St. and Mass. Ave. at about 8 p.m., said Donaldson, who also heard other accidents reported over the police radio.

Both Osborn and Donaldson said they could notremember the last time the service had shut down.

"In my experience, they really do everythingthey can to keep running," said Osborn.

Last summer when a fire had shut down phonelines, the police used walkie-talkies to keep theservice running, he said.

But the escort service was forced to close twoor three years ago during an icestorm, said Rob J.Morrison '93, who has driven for the service forthree years