PBH Chooses New Officers

Public Service Organization Elects Goldberg, Romer

By Tara B. Reddy, Contributing Reporter

The Phillips Brooks House committee chairs Sunday voted Jennifer A. Goldberg '94 the new president and Toby N. Romer '94 the new vice president of the public service organization.

Goldberg, who ran against Romer, Todd P. Shaiman '94 and Mario F. Delci '94, said she aims to continue the current efforts of PBH.

"This year we have about 1,500 volunteers," Goldberg said. "I'd like to see that continue and grow."

She said she also plans to work for "more outreach in the Harvard-Radcliffe community," as well as to "increase communication and improve programming."

Goldberg said "the mood of the election was very unified because people care about PBH a lot."

Romer said he shares Goldberg's enthusiasm for the coming year. He said the election "was a really great night. It was really exciting to hear what everyone had to say. I think Jennifer Goldberg and I will do a great job as the executive team."

Members of the PBH cabinet say that the membership of Shaiman in the all-male Phoenix final club had no significant effect on the outcome of the election.

Outgoing PBH President Sanjiv N. Singh '92 said Shaiman's club membership had not affected the election.

Singh said that the major issues in the campaign were "quality and public service," not any candidate's extracurricular affiliations.

Jennifer F. Mayher '93, outgoing events coordinator, agreed. She said also that the recent restructuring of PBH government from a steering committee of 13 to a board of directors of 17 was a consideration in selecting the officers.

"This year, [the campaign] was more an issue of leadership and who was best qualified to carry PBH through with the new structure," said Mayher.

Mayher said she "wasn't surprised by the outcome."

"I know [the candidate's involvement in the club] was an issue for certain members of the cabinet, but I don'tknow if it was an issue for enough people to makea critical difference," she said.

Romer said the final club issue "was a personaldecision for everyone who was voting."

"It didn't affect my vote," he said. "I votedfor myself."

Since Phillips Brooks House holds closedelections, cabinet members refused to comment onthe specifics of the process.

"We don't usually discuss the details of theelection," said Goldberg