Epps Talks on Malcolm X's Message to Blacks

By Celeste M.K. Yuen, Contributing Reporter

Harvard Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III discussed the teachings of Black leader Malcolm X last night in a speech at the Kennedy School of Government to commemorate the final week of Black history month.

The Institute of Politics and the Kennedy School Black Causes invited Epps to talk about his revised book, Malcolm X Speeches at Harvard, released last October.

Epps suggested that Malcolm X's ideas from the 1960s still apply to civil rights concerns today.

"Malcolm X represents the unfinished business of the civil rights era," Peps said.

He also cited intellectual interest in Malcolm X's ideas and continuing support for the Black Nationalist tradition as reasons Malcolm X is still popular.

Epps said that the renewed interest in Malcolm X was also reflected in the commercialization of the Black activist. Epps called the recent popularity of Malcolm X paraphernalia a reflection of a "crazy society."

Epps insisted Malcolm X's fundamental views of Black pride and frustration in an oppressive society still persist today.

"I sense a stirring will happen," Epps said. Later on, he commented, "Of course, Deans of Students hope that such things won't occur."

But Epps said his book was not an endorsement of Malcolm X and his teachings.

"The book is not a praise of Malcolm X," said Epps. "It's a critical reading [of his speeches]."

Epps discussed the three Malcolm X speeches delivered at Harvard, repeatedly quoting from the speeches. He suggested each Harvard speech marked a major milestone in Malcolm X's activist career.

In the first speech delivered in March, 1961, Malcolm X reached the height of his involvement with the Black Muslims, according to Epps.

"Integration is not good for either side...Blacks and whites can never live together in peace," Epps quoted.

Three years later, Malcolm X maintained his views of Black separatism, calling the "American dream" an "American nightmare," Epps said. "The only solution is to go back to our homeland [Africa] and build an independent nation," Epps quoted from Malcolm X's second speech at Harvard.

Malcolm X delivered the final speech in December, 1964--just two months before his assassination--after returning from a Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca.

The trip to Saudi Arabia gave Malcolm X an international perspective, according to Epps.

Malcolm X said that Black oppression is a global human rights issue, not only America's problem, subsequently advocating it at the United Nations, Epps said.

He ended his address with a somber warning to students that Malcolm X's message is still very relevant in today's world.

"I wouldn't say that progress is always secure," said Epps. "There is always a struggle."