Lacrosse Suspect Arraigned for Shootings, Assault

Ingraham Pleads Not Guilty

By Adi Krause, Contributing Reporter

A man wanted by Harvard police and several other local and federal authorities for a string of bank robberies and armed assaults was arraigned yesterday in Suffolk County Superior Court.

Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority police apprehended R. Christopher Ingraham outside the Arlington subway station Thursday evening. He was found with an unlicensed loaded 38-caliber pistol, police said.

Harvard police were searching for the Ingraham, 39 in connection with an armed assault of three lacrosse players at the Dillon Field House earlier this months.

Ingraham was also wanted by Boston police for a January 24-shooting that left a Northeastern University students and two local residents injured.

Ingraham pleaded innocent yesterday to charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault with intent to murder, unlawful possession of arms and two civil rights violations, officials said.

He is currently being held at the Suffolk Country jail with bail set at $1 million.

Ingraham is also under investigation by the FBI and Boston police for a recent spate of bank robberies, police said.

Tom Cassano, chief supervisor of Boston's bank robbery task force, said Ingraham was found with $2100 in cash that the FBI has traced to a recent bank robbery.

"I anticipate that we will bring up charges against him." Cassano said.

In addition, the U.S. Marshall placed a parole detainment on Ingra- ham for a criminal record that includesthreatening a U.S. federal judge in 1984, breakinginto a car in Harvard's Soldier Field Park Stadiumin 1988, and a violating a former parole sentence.

Dillon Field House

Ingraham has not yet been arraigned for thealleged assault on the lacrosse players and staffmembers at the Dillon Field House earlier thismonth.

In that incident on Feb. 8, Ingraham allegedlya revolver on a lacrosse player and field aftertrying to brush past Dillon staff members into theathletic building.

Ingraham evaded players and coaches who pursuedhim across the Charles River, where he apparentlysought refuge in the underground garage of theCharles Hotel. Harvard and Cambridge policecontinued the search. But were unable to locateIngraham.

Ingraham is also considered a suspect inconnection with three minor thefts at the LawSchool's Hemenway Gym.

Trial proceedings against Ingraham, who will berepresented by attorney James Carviello of thecommittee of public Council, are scheduled tobegin March 20

Dillon Field House