Thinclads Limp Into Heptagonal Championships

By Ishani Maitra, Contributing Reporter

Plagued by injuries, the Harvard indoor track team limps into its most crucial meet of the year.

The Crimson's chances of capturing the Heptagonal Indoor Track and Field Championship, to be held at Dartmouth this weekends, are slim at best.

The Crimson will be competing against all seven Ivy League teams, as well as Army and Navy.

Jolly Green Giants

The Big Green men enter the meet having won the Heps each of the last four years. Back on their home field, they are strong favorites to repeat this year.

Dartmouth had only one champion at last year's meet--Dennis Webster in the 800 meter run, but team depth allowed them to come away with a comfortable winning margin of sixteen points against second-place Princeton.

The Tigers, however are coming off a solid victory in the Harvard-Princeton-Yale Triple meet of two weeks ago.

The Tiger's challenge will be led by high jumper lay Richards, who has already qualified for the NCAA championships with 73" clearance and middle distance runner Omar Simmons.

Simmons won the 500 meter run at the Heps last year, before going on to take 800 meter title at the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (1C4A) championships, which follow the winter track season.

Simmon's versatility gives him two options: If he chooses to defend his 500 meter crown, Simmons is a sure bet to win, Otherwise, he will pose a serious threat to Webster in the 800.

Cornell won its first-ever women's crown in 1991, and is also expected to make a strong run for the championship this year.

Cornell's only serious competition for the championship is Brown.

Stealing The Show

Brown's sprinter/hurdler Susan Smith may steal the show. Smith won titles in seven individual and relay events over the course of last year.

Harvard's best recent effort in the Heps came in 1990, when the women took the title.

This stellar effort was spearheaded by Meredith Rainey '90, who won the 55 meter, 400 meter and 800 meter runs.

Key Injuries Hurt

Key injuries, especially to the men's squad, have resulted in a very mediocre season for the Crimson.

Its most recent efforts were third-place and second-place finished for the men and women, respectively at the H-Y-P meet.

Crimson seniors Cathy Griffin and Nick Sweeney are perennial favorites to win their events. Sweeney won the discus at last year's Heps, while Griffin won both the weight throw and the discus.

Freshman Jennifer Kearney gave the Crimson a lift, finishing second in the mile at the H-Y-P's with a time of 4:55.56.