Home Is Enemy for M. Cagers

For Peters' Sake

By R.j. Peters, Contributing Reporter

While most people will concede that things have not been going well for the Harvard men's basketball team, it is downright horrifying how poorly they are performing at home.

While a home court advantage obviously does not guarantee victory, the Crimson has been hexed. Incredibly, Harvard is closing in on one full year without a win at Briggs Cage.

361 Down, 4 To Go

The last time that the score came out in the Crimson's favor in Cambridge was on February 8, 1991. On that fateful day, Harvard reigned victorious, 90-77, over Brown.

Since then, the Crimson have fallen twelve consecutive times to 10 different squads. Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Princeton (twice), Pennsylvania (twice), Boston College, Babson (!), Dartmouth, Vermont and Colgate have all emerged from Briggs as road winners.

If Harvard pulls up lame against Hartford on Wednesday, then succumbs to Brown and Yale this weekend, the Crimson will have gone 365 days without a win at home.

Failing victories in those three contests, the Crimson's last two opportunities to win at home will be against Cornell and Columbia on February 28 and 29.

Top of the Charts

Ron Mitchell's climb up Harvard's all-time scoring and rebounding charts has been one of the few bright points this season.

Mitchell's 15 points against Princeton last Friday pushed him up to fifth on the scoring top 10. Presently, he stands at 1278 points.

The last two players to fall beneath Mitchell were CBS sportscaster James Brown '73 (1242 points) and Keith Sedlacek '66 (1262 points).

Bob Ferry '85, brother of former Duke star and present Cleveland Cavaliers player Danny Ferry, is Mitchell's next target. Ferry scored 1351 points in his career.

Number three all-time is Mitchell's co-captain last year, Ralph James '91. It would take a herculean effort for Mitchell to surpass James' 1465 career points.

The rebounding crown is easily within Mitchell's reach, however. Presently, he stands at 709 boards, ranking fourth.

Floyd Lewis '73 is Mitchell's next target, with 728 career rebounds. The best ever is Barry Williams '66, who grabbed 761 boards.

Mitchell needs to wipe the glass for 52 more rebounds in 11 games to become the new champion.