Spanish Cager's Eligibility Decided

By Yin Y. Nawaday, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard basketball is 2-14. Clearly, they need some help.

But they may not be able to get it from the 6'11" Spaniard, Arturo Llopis-Carbonell '93.

Llopis finds out today whether his second appeal to the National College Athletes Association (NCAA) to play Harvard basketball will succeed.

The NCAA ruled Llopis ineligible last November, contending that he played as a professional in Spain. Llopis' case went before a special NCAA Eligibility Committee, which rejected an appeal of the decision in December.

If his second appeal to the Eligibility Committee is refused, it will then go to the Subcommittee on Eligibility, which is the last resort for a university within NCAA jurisdiction.

In Spain, Llopis' educational expenses were paid for by the Football Club of Barcelona, where Llopis played for two years.

His basketball team, a member of the SpanishFederation of Basketball, consisted of both seniormembers who were paid salaries and junior members,like Llopis, who were only given their tuitionfees, room and board.

In the Spanish Federation, such juniorbasketball players are considered amateurs sincethey do not receive cash payments, sign a contractwith the team or retain an agent to representthem.

The NCAA, however, considers an athletereceiving financial benefits of any kind for anextended period to be a professional. Under NCAArules, professionals are ineligible to play in itsleague.

Llopis insisted that it is unfair to judge himaccording to NCAA regulations for his play in theSpanish league.

"I was in Spain so I was using the Spanishrules," said Llopis. "I was doing what everyoneelse does because this is the only way to dothings in Spain."

Assistant Director of the Athletic DepartmentAndrea S. Wicker agreed, saying Llopis' ignoranceof the NCAA system should not be held against him.

"Back in 1988 when Arturo was there, he had noidea that what he was doing was consideredprofessional," said Wickerham. "That's animportant difference."

Wickerham said that NCAA's ruling reflects apoor understanding of the Spanish basketballsystem.

She said that one of NCAA's main reasons fordenying Llopis' request to play was the beliefthat he knowingly played for a professional team.

"It's not that the NCAA was belligerent," saidWickerham. "They just don't have the information."

Llopis and the Athletic Department said theyhope recently obtained information will lead tothe reversal of the NCAA's decision.

Last Wednesday, the vice-president of theSpanish Federation of Basketball confirmed Llopis'amateur status to the NCAA's director of theEligibility Committee, according to Llopis.

Should the second appeal fail, Harvard andLlopis plan to present evidence that theEligibility Committee did not apply precedentconsistently, said Wickerham.

Wickerham said that the NCAA permitted anEuropean hockey player, in a situation similar toLlopis, to play at the University of Vermont.

The subcommittee will overturn the standingdecision only if Harvard can prove previousrulings did not apply precedents correctly,according to Wickerham.

Llopis says that if this final appeal alsofails, then he may obtain his own legal counseland file a suit against the NCAA