Man Allegedly Draws Gun On Student

Escapes Police Search

A man allegedly pulled a revolver on a men's lacrosse player at Dillon Field House yesterday afternoon and is still at large after eluding a massive search effort by University and Cambridge police.

At about 4:45 p.m., the suspect allegedly drew a gun in the parking lot of the athletic facility after at least one lacrosse player confronted him and asked him what he was doing, according to sources.

The suspect ran away under chase of two players and one or two coaches, crossed the Anderson bridge into Cambridge and apparently sought refuge in the underground garage of the Charles Hotel.

Within minutes, more than 15 marked and unmarked police vehicles from the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD), the Cambridge Police Department and the Boston Metropolitan Police Department converged on the hotel, sirens blaring. Harvard and Cambridge police officers searched the hotel, the garage and another underground garage nearby, but were unable to locate the suspect.

At one point, several Harvard and Cambridge police vehicles suddenly bolted to the post office less than two blocks away on Story Street, where officers believed the suspect may have been hiding behind some pillars. Police frisked and questioned several men at the post office but did not find the alleged gunman.


As rush hour approached and traffic became congested, the Harvard and Cambridge forces halted their concentrated search and began a search covering the entire neighborhood area. Metropolitan police were not involved in this search.

The suspect was described as white, about 30 years old, 5'10" with dirty blonde hair. He was wearing a green or vanilla coat and red glasses.

At least eight HUPD units and four Cambridge units were on the road last night searching for the suspect, but at last report, the suspect remained at large.

Police did not release the name of the playerwho was allegedly threatened.

Lacrosse Coach Scott H. Anderson and members ofthe team contacted yesterday refused to comment onthe incident.

University police said the incident was stillunder investigation but refused to release anyfurther details, referring all questions to ChiefPaul E. Johnson. Johnson was not available forcomment