Student Registration Figures Up Dramatically For Election

By Betty L. Cung, Contributing Reporter

The number of Harvard undergraduates registered to vote increased dramatically in time for the Massachusetts primary today, according to a report by the Cambridge Election Commissions.

The commission report, released earlier this week, listed 2065 undergraduates who are registered to vote, up from a number of approximately 1300 reported in November.

Of the more than 2000 registered Harvard students, 830 declared themselves Democrats, 289 registered as Republicans, and 946 said they had no affiliation.

And while many undergraduates said they had no idea whom they support in today's primary, newly registered students said that casting a ballot was their civic duty.

"I didn't know much about local issues and candidates during the local elections," said Jimmy Ko '95, who remains undecided about his vote in the primary.

"But I have been following the presidential race, and I feel it is my duty as an American citizen to determine the country's next leaders," Ko said.

Other students said they had been nudged into the undecided column by recent changes in the presidential race.

"I was going to vote for Kerrey," said Leah J. Sparks '95. "But since he dropped out, I guess I'll vote for Tsongas or Clinton."

According to the report, Cambridge has 33738registered voters. Of these, 28823 are Democrats,3396 are Republicans and 13519 unaffiliated.

With so few Republicans in the city, and only afew of those on the Harvard campus, a RepublicanClub official said his group would not be making abig effort today.

"The Harvard vote won't be decisive," said EmilG. Michael '94, whose group will support PresidentBush in the primary today