Berry Launches Kosher Food Table

Program Premieres at Dunster

By Sunah N. Kim, Contributing Reporter

Harvard Dining Services established a kosher food table in Dunster House two weeks ago as part of a pilot program to provide lunches to Jewish students who observe dietary restrictions.

Previously, the only kosher meals available through the Harvard meal plan were served by the Harvard Hillel, which is not open for lunch.

Located opposite the salad bar in the dining hall, the kosher table offers edibles including Lender's bagels, knishes, cold cuts cheeses, potato salad, yogurt and single-serving packets of condiments.

Previously, the only strictly kosher options in the dining halls were cheese and tuna fish.

The kosher table is only available for lunch.

The Dunster kosher table, the first of its kind in the College dining halls, was instituted at the urging of two Dunster residents, Allan S. Galper '93 and Chana H. Gable '92.

Last October, Gable and Galper--who is assistant editorial chair of The Crimson, approached Michael P. Berry, director of Harvard Dining Services. Tired of tuna and cheese every day, they decided to bring their grievances to Berry's attention, Gable said.

"[Berry] was wonderful, receptive, and eager to help us," Gable said.

In an interview last week, Berry said he chose Dunster House for the pilot program because a sufficient number of its students had expressed interest in kosher eating and because there was enough space in the dining hall.

Berry hopes to extend the program to other houses if it proves to be successful.

Shai A. Held '94, chair of Harvard Hillel, said he appreciated the greater variety in diet provided by the new program.

"There's a limit to how much tuna fish you can eat," said Held, who said he was "obviously extremely excited" about the development.

Other Jewish students also expressed enthusiasm about the availability of more kosher food.

"It's the greatest thing to have happened here at Harvard," said Joshua N. Newman '94.

Yin Y. Nawaday contributed to the reporting of this article.