Leverett Residents Give Jukebox Mixed Reviews

Many Approve of New Music Machine

By Betty L. Cung, Contributing Reporter

Leverett House's new jukebox is playing the songs, but not without causing some discord.

The jukebox, which plays "Top 40" songs and classic rock, was installed last Tuesday in the house dining hall. It is being loaned by a company called Melo-Tone for a three week trial period.

The machine is intended to raise money for Leverett's House and Neighborhood Development (HAND) public service program.

HAND Coordinator Kathy Tsapos '93, said she hopes the jukebox will last "as long as Leverett House does."

And a majority of students interviewed in the dining hall yesterday said they approved of the jukebox.

"I'm psyched. This is cool. I hardly eat here during lunch, but I think I'll start," said Angel Taveras '92, a Leverett resident.

"We can party all the time. It'll create a less stressful atmosphere," said Angela M. Payne '92.

Cabot House resident Harley E. Guttman '92 agreed. "Cabot needs something like this. I can't believe they just got it [in Leverett] and no one's playing anything," she said.

However, a number of students said they believe the jukebox does not belong in the dining hall.

"I generally don't like it because it's bad enough in here normally--particularly at dinner. The constant bass is disturbing," said Whitney A. Rapp '92.

"I think the dining hall is the wrong place for it. I think they should move it somewhere else or get rid of it," said Nishan C. de Mel '94.

And Hugo Y. Hsu '93 said that though he hopes the jukebox raises money for HAND, right now it is just increasing "the general level of noise."

Several students said they would support the jukebox's presence in the dining hall if some operational changes were made.

"It should be a little louder," said Samantha A. Ettus '94.

Noise level was not the problem for Richard S. Park '93. "I don't like the songs very much--they're mostly dance songs," said Park.

Several house tutors said they did not mind thejukebox but believe that it should go if it isbothering students.

"As long as people don't play it duringbreakfast, I don't play it during breakfast, Idon't mind it," said tutor Cheryl L. Dorsey.

The only immediate action on the jukebox willbe to adjust the balance of bass and treble, saidAjay Sutshi '93, chair of the Leverett Housecommittee