Council Approves Activities Letter

By Joanna M. Weiss, Crimson Staff Writer

After months of deliberation, the Faculty Council yesterday approved a letter to department chairs suggesting how professors could report outside activities to Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles.

The letter, which will be released next week, explains why the Faculty is making activity reporting a new priority, according to Administrative Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences John R. Fox Jr. Fox is serving as acting secretary of the faculty.

The Corporation last year requested that the Faculty establish a mechanism for the reporting of all faculty activities. That request sparked a broader debate about professorial obligations to the University.

Professors to develop a standard method of reporting faculty activities under the categories of teaching, research andcitizenship. A list of potential items to bereported will be included with the letter, Foxsaid.

Each department will develop its own standardsfor reporting and is expected to submitsuggestions, concerns and prospective reportingmethods to Knowles.

In other business, the Faculty Councilyesterday discussed the annual report of theCoordinating Committee on Sexual Harassment, Foxsaid.

Associate Dean of the Faculty for AffirmativeAction Marjorie Garber and Dean for StudentAffairs of the Graduate School of Arts andSciences Margot N. Gill were presented the reportto the council. It describes the number and typesof sexual harassment cases that were reported tothe Faculty in the 1990-91 academic year.

While only a handful of students, staff andfaculty members make formal complaints each year,20 to 30 individuals go to the Faculty'sdesignated sexual harassment officers to requestintervention, Fox said. Still more requestinformation and clarification from the sexualharassment officers, he said.

Fox said the council also considered a proposalfor a new graduate degree program in Modern Greek,submitted by Dean of the Graduate School of Artsand Sciences Brendan A. Maher.

Under the plan, the Classics Department wouldhouse the new program, Fox said. The Facultycurrently offers courses in Modern Greek, but hasno formal degree program