No Harassment

To the Editors of the Crimson:

The cast and technical team of the play "Mirandolina" would like to comment on the Crimson article of April 20, 1992, ("Female Lead Fired from Mirandolina.") It was sad for us to see that the facts have been distorted and therefore we would like to rectify the situation by providing a true account of the case.

The decision to recast Scarlet Marquette was made on the basis of her own behavior. The cast and crew were unanimous in finding her difficult to work with, and each came to their conclusions independently. None of us observed any sexual harassment of Scarlet Marquette on the part of Philip Munger nor did any of us ever see him or Julian von Loesch psychologically abuse her.

It was very disturbing for us to see that Philip Munger and Julian von Loesch were depicted in a manner which does not coincide with reality, and that Scarlet Marquette made these claims to a newspaper without considering the harm she would cause to the involved persons.

Her allegations are especially outrageous in light of the fact that the Harvard/Radcliffe Drama Club Executive Board, three of whose members, including the president, are women, reviewed Scarlet's claims carefully and found no reason to proceed against the play or any members of the cast. It seems to us that Scarlet Marquette acted out of vengeance, slandering us publicly and deliberately, when she realized she was going to lose her part.

We all wish this conflict could have been solved in a less unpleasant way for all the people involved, but we hope that with this correction of the facts, it will end peacefully. Independently of the above statement, the director and the producer wish to assert that sexual harassment never took place, and that such an accusation is unjustified, irresponsible, unacceptable, and of questionable motivation. Sam Ferrell '95,   Nicholas Gordon '95,   Raiko Mancini '92,   Duane Moles '95,   Philip Munger '93,   Grigore Pop Eleches '95,   Anne Richards '95,   Konstantions Tsakonas '93,   Karen Todd '95,   Julian von Loesch '93,   Terry Yang '95