Publications Struggle With Recession; Suffer in Wake of Falling Ad Revenues

By Marion B. Gammill, Crimson Staff Writer

The experts may say that the recession is over, but many students on Harvard publications have their doubts.

Although no students said yesterday that their periodicals are in danger of folding, many said their organizations have felt the bite of a sluggish economy. And even those groups that have been relatively unaffected admit that advertising revenues have not surged to new heights this year.

Dennis S. Lee '93, publisher of the Harvard Independent, said the weekly newspaper has obtained no significant new accounts this year. But, he added, "We haven't lost any major clients."

In fact, this year's business climate has not changed dramatically, said Lee. "Advertising revenues are stable." he said. "[It is] about the same as last year."

PerspectiveBusiness Manager Joshua A. Feltman '95 said that although ad revenues for the liberal monthly have not fallen greatly this year, "we've had to be more aggressive about it. A lot of regular advertisers are cutting down," he said.

Feltman said the Perspective has had to devote more resources to money matters. "We have the same revenues, [but with] a lot more work," he said. "We've been calling more people. . . but the response from potential advertisers has been `no way, not now.'"

Feltman said the publication is surviving, but that he believes the economy has definitely had an effect on the fortunes of the magazine. "I think we're going to have to work hard through next year to get ads," he said.

Harvard Advocate President Peter C. Nohrenberg '93 echoed Feltman's opinions. "We've had a difficult time fielding new advertisers, and our past advertisers have cut down as well," he said.

Nohrenberg said the recession has definitely influenced the Advocate's business affairs. "We're trying to be a little more aggressive about selling ads, and we've increased building rentals to offset costs," he said.

The Advocate is also holding more fundraising events such as book readings and movies. "We're not worried, but we always need to find ways to raise money," Nohrenberg said.

Sameer A. Chishty '93, business manager of The Crimson, was somewhat more optimistic. "We're weathering it well," he said. "Ad revenues are not doing spectacularly, but are picking up. Subscriptions slowed down slightly last year, but there are signs that they are picking up this year."

Chishty attributed the increases to the efforts of Crimson business staffers, who he said have been working very hard. "The staff is giving 120 percent day and night. We don't have tons of money to spare, but we are hanging in there."

The Harvard Salient is also doing well financially, said editor Dianne M. Reeder '93. "In fact, we're on the upswing. We have been turned down, but perseverance seems to be getting us some ads."

Reeder said alumni contributions to the conservative monthly have increased in the past few years. "Now that we're ten years old, we're finally getting alumni that have some money [to give]," she said.