12-Run Outburst Propels Batsmen To Team's Third Consecutive Victory

Four-Hit Game From Mrowka Lifts Crimson Over Holy Cross, 12-7

By A. PREBLE Jaques, Contributing Reporter

In an effort marked by sound defense and patient hitting, the baseball team easily handled Holy Cross yesterday, coming away with a 12-7 victory.

Senior Co-Captain Jim Mrowka led the way with his first four-hit game of the season.

The Crimson continued their recent offensive revival, scoring runs in each of the first three innings.

Harvard put the game away in the third inning. With the bases loaded and two runs already in, June Zarate and Mrowka delivered back-to-back singles, clearing the bases and pushing the score to an insurmountable 8-0.

According to Zarate, the key to the win was the team's sustained concentration.

'Took control Early'

"We took control early and never lapsed," Zarate said. "We did all the little things you need to win, and as a result of our patience we didn't have to have any timely hitting."

Sophomore righthander Jeff Mitchell picked up his first victory of the season. After setting down the first nine men he faced (with the help of a nifty 6-4-3 double play), Mitchell was touched for three runs in the fourth and lifted in favor of senior reliever Ray Desrocher.

Mitchell noted the team's ability to execute as being critical to the win.

"Today we did what we had to and played solid fundamental ball," Mitchell said. "We lay down sacrifice bunts, turned double plays--everyone was pulling their weight out there."

R-E-L-I-E-F

The Crimson's pitching also flexed its muscle. Desrocher pitched 2 2/3 innings of one-hit ball, while freshmen Jamie Irving and Scott Davidson each threw well in relief.

As if a reward for the team's hard work, Zarate's ninth inning inside-the-park homer served as gravy on a satisfying win.

The victory raises Harvard's record to 7-8. The team has yet to play an EIBL game.

HARVARD, 12-7 at Holy Cross Harvard  215  011  011  --  12   10  O Holy Cross  000  300  013  --  7  13< Tab>3

HR: Holy Cross--Morgan; Harvard--Zarate. 3B: Holy Cross--None; Harvard--Scanlan, Morgan. 2B: Holy Cross--Powderly, Neary, Koman; Harvard--Mrowka, Scanlan. E: Holy Cross--Garrity (2), Tabler; Harvard--None. WP: Mitchell; LP: Garriry.