Danceable, Creative Pain

NEW MUSIC

By Phoebe Cushman

Are your eardrums deadened by Depeche Mode's oversynthesized beat? Heard one too many of Morrissey's whiny laments? Disillusioned with the British pop music scene? Then try James, England's newest answer to alternative rock.

In their latest album Seven, James presents the seldom-encountered combination of rockability and substance. Unlike so many manufactured sounds today, their music is authentic and whimsical, yet highly danceable. What's more, their lyrics are catchy and easily recognizable, yet probing an insightful.

This seven-piece outfit from Manchester succesfully integrates its vocals, guitars, keyboards and drums to produce a harmonious melody with a driving beat. In songs like "Born of Frustration" and "Live a Love of Life," Andy Diagram's trumpet adds a funky brass twist.

Many of James' songs could be interpreted as a call to life. They sing of vulnerability and pain, but unlike so many moanings of the Cure and The Smiths, they also emphasize humanity's strength and capacity for change. "Climb out of your well/ It's not so deep/ Price of living life is not steep,' they exhort in "Protect Me."

In their particularly rousing "Ring the Bells," lead singer Tim Booth's throaty voice urges us to examine our lives, and to take control. His poetic, paradoxical lyrics ("When you let me die my spirit's free/ There's nothing challenging me") incite us to accept the unfortunate and grow from it.

James is at their best in their dance tunes, but they display almost equal proficiency in some other styles. "Next Lover," their soft, lyrical love song, is reminiscent of Simon and Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair." Its simple, pretty lyrics, combined with the gentle weaving of guitars in the background, create a soothing, lullaby effect.

But while the band should be commended for attempting variety within "Seven," some of their wanderings from the dance genre prove less than successful. The subdued, rap-like rhythm of "Don't' Wait That Long" becomes tiresome and droning. And the harsher, angrier quality of "Mother" ("This war's a motherfucker/How many sons did we kill today?) sounds too forced and heavy-handed.

Overall, however, James offers a creative, appealing approach to alternative rock. So whether you're in the mood to dance around with lots of friends or just sit and muse about your life, Seven just might be your lucky number.