Laxmen Lose One More in Last Game

Wildcats Finish Off Crimson, 10-7

By Y. TAREK Farouki, Crimson Staff Writer

The season's over and now it's time to rest and recuperate.

Maybe to forget.

The Harvard men's lacrosse team dropped the final game of its 1992 season Wednesday with a 10-7 loss to New Hampshire in Durham, NH.

With its post-season hopes dashed a long time ago, the battered Crimson (4-9, 1-5 Ivy) hoped to avenge two consecutive losses to the Wildcats in the past two years.

New Hampshire stunned a 3rd-ranked Harvard team bound for the NCAA tournament in 1990 and then feasted on last year's team, 19-15 at Ohiri.

No Revenge

But there was no revenge this year--just another loss. It was Harvard's fourth consecutive defeat in 11 days.

"We definitely came out flat," senior Co-Captain Paul Faust said. "It's not that they're a good team, the loss came through breakdowns on our part."

Harvard scored first and shutout the Wildcats in the first quarter. The second period, however, was another story.

The Crimson could only muster one goal while allowing New Hampshire to go on a five-goal rampage and go into halftime leading 5-2.

The teams played evenly for the next two quarters--each scoring five more goals--but Harvard could not recover from the breakdown in the second period.

Hard Times

The week and a half has been extremely difficult for Harvard. A loss to Brown snapped a three-game winning streak and began the skid which continued through the New Hampshire game.

"We just couldn't concentrate," Faust said. "It's tough to stay up after all those hard-fought and close games. The scores don't tell the whole story."

Sophomore Mike Porter and fellow attacker freshman Jamie Ames did turn in performances that are encouraging for next year, however.

Four Goals

Ames came on at the end of the season, scoring four goals against the Wildcats, while Porter continued his offensive contribution with one goal and three assists.

Senior goalie Chris Miller finished off his outstanding career between the twines with 14 saves against the Wildcats.

NEW HAMPSHIRE,10-7 at Durham, NH Harvard  1  1  1  4  --  7 NH  0  5  1  4  --  10

G: Harvard--Jamie Ames (4), mike Porter, Mike Agrillo, Chip Linehan; NH--Eric Presbrey (3), Chris Geier (3), John Daley (2), John McConaghy (2).A: Harvard--Porter (3), Agrillo, Paul Faust, Dan Nicklas; NH--Presbrey (2), Daley (2).S:Harvard--Chris Miller 14; NH--Brian Vona 14.