Dershowitz, Ogletree Clash at Law School

By Maya E. Fischoff, Crimson Staff Writer

Two Harvard Law School professors involved with the year's two most sensationalized cases of sexual harassment and rape debated the reliability of the women who bring such accusations Wednesday in a law school forum.

Professor of Law Alan Dershowitz, appellate counsel for Mike Tyson, and Assistant Professor of Law Charles J. Ogletree, who represented Anita Hill in front of the U.S. Senate last fall, addressed a crowd of 400 in Ames Courtroom Wednesday.

The two professors clashed over the most fundamental issues involved in the cases: whether women primarily tell the truth or lie about being the victim of a sexual crime.

"Given the power relations in our society we have a long way to go before a woman can come into a courtroom and get a fair trial," Ogletree said.

Ogletree said that women should be praised, not punished, for coming forward with their charges. Instead, he said, women who make allegations risk "public degradation, criticism and sacrifice."

"It was staggering," Ogletree said in reference to the Clarence Thomas hearings, "to see this young professional Black woman...have 14 men, all white males, standing in judgment when many of them directly or indirectly, had probably engaged in some form of sexual harassment in the past."

Dershowitz, however, said that women plaintiffs in harassment and rape cases often bring false charges--whether they lie intentionally or are simply confused about the law.

Dershowitz, who stirred up controversy by agreeing to defend Tyson, argued that his client is one of many men falsely accused. or sexually assaulted," Dershowitz said,arguing that allowing an occasionally guilty manto go free may be the price paid for protectingthe innocent.

Tyson was convicted of raping beauty pageantcontestant Desiree Washington early this year.

Dershowitz and Ogletree were joined on thepanel by Star Jones a Today Showcommentator, and Katha Pollitt, an associateeditor of The Nation.

Jones said that, although rape victims may tellthe truth, questionable circumstances often makebelieving alleged rape victims difficult.

"What the hell was Desiree Washington doingMike Tyson's bedroom at three in the morning ifshe wasn't ready to get busy?" asked Jones. "It'snot like he's going to be discussing the law ofapplied sciences there."

On the other hand, said Jones, the demureWashington was the picture of innocence.

"Call up central casting, can you send me arape victim please," said Jones. "DesireeWashington comes on down. It doesn't get anybetter than that."

The nature of sexual relations furthercomplicates the picture, said Dershowitz, drawingthe wrath of the other panelists as he defendedTyson.

Mike Tyson gets mail daily from women who wantto "visit him, be friends with him, have sex withhim," said Dershowitz. "Both men and women arescrewed up when it comes to sex, in largenumbers."

Pollitt countered that Washington's charge ofrape was supported by a gynecologist who examinedher.

"The gynecologist said he'd never seenabrasions like that in the course of doing 20,000exams, except in rape victims," Pollitt said.

But Jones said, smiling, the injuries mighthave come from rough sex, which some people enjoy.

"Mike Tyson is, shall we say, endowed," sheadded, casting a meaningful glance at Dershowitz.

"You're looking at me as if I know?" askedDershowitz, laughing. "I've examined the briefs,but not the...