Life Imitates Bart

Stickwomen Host Brown Today

By G. BART Kasowski

Memories rarely die.

When the seniors and juniors of the Harvard field hockey team think of Brown, they may remember a glorious day two years ago, when with a 2-0 win over the Bears, the Crimson captured its first ever Ivy crown and catapulted Harvard hockey to new heights.

But the thought of facing Brown may also revive a more painful memory: last year's dogfight in Providence. After leading for most of the game, Harvard saw the Bears overcome a two-goal deficit, tie the score and force the Crimson into what felt more like a loss than a draw.

With these memories firmly in mind, the Crimson hosts Brown today in its Ivy season opener at Cumnock Field.

Harvard is coming off a disappointing 2-1 loss to Connecticut in a game that saw the Crimson searching for the intensity that helped it win two consecutive Ivy titles. Brown, on the other hand, is still basking in the glory of its 3-1 win Wednesday over top-ranked New Hampshire.

"We anticipate a good matchup," Harvard Coach Sue Caples said. "Brown is coming off a big win so we have to come out ready to play."