College Debate Council Celebrates Centennial

By Anna E. Arreola, Contributing Reporter

The Harvard Debate Council celebrated its centennial this weekend by reflecting on the history of debate in a banquet at the Kennedy School of Government last Saturday.

The council welcomed former Harvard debaters from the past 60 years. The program included an address by Asa Phillips '34, one of the original drafters of the United Nations Charter.

In interviews yesterday, Rebecca L. Tushner '95, a member of the council, said much of the weekend's discussion emphasized the recent progress of women and minorities in debate.

The council admitted its first fe- male, Frances Prichet in 1967.

Today, the ten-member Harvard Debate Councilboasts a membership that includes three women andthree Asian-Americans.

Discrimination persisted in the 1970s, Tushnersaid, citing the 1971 tournament topic for WrightState University, which read, "Resolved: Thathigher education for women is a useless endeavor."

In addition to increased diversity, otherchanges in debate over the years have includedelimination of the "triangularsystem"--competition exclusively with Princetonand Yale.

The team travels nationwide to debate eight or10 rounds with teams from over 50 colleges. In its100 years, Harvard has captured more championshipsthan any other college.

"Debate has contributed to Harvard's visibilitynationwide and around the world," said HarvardDebate Coach Dallas Perkins