Letterman's Move Almost Final

Harvard Fans Pledge to Stay Loyal to Star of Late Night TV

By Laura R. Monsma, Contributing Reporter

One late night battle ended and another began with yesterday's announcement that David Letterman will make the jump from NBC to CBS and face rival Jay Leno head to head.

An NBC news conference last night brought an end to months of highly publicized bidding between the networks. Letterman decided to leave NBC when the network failed to match CBS's final offer of approximately $14 million a year and an 11:30 time slot. Letterman did not appear at the news conference.

Letterman had accepted the CBS offer in December but NBC was allowed until midnight last night to meet the offer.

The gap-toothed comedian did not give details of his move during the taping of his show yesterday except to say that his last show with NBC would be June 25. He also joked that he would be visiting outgoing President Bush to pick up any extra moving boxes.

Loyal Letterman fans at Harvard, however, were unconcerned.

"I'm happy because it'll be on at 11:30. I was a fan of his when he was doing stand-up in the late 70's, and he's still the same. I don't think his style will change, New York or L.A. it's all the same," said Manuel S. Varela '94.

And Jonathan R. Funke '93 had faith in Letterman's ability to be funny at any network. "I don't care what network he's on as long as the band stays with him. He can make jokes about CBS, NBC, they're all the same," Funke said.

But other fans were not so happy with the move. "I think it would be a mistake. It's always good to see Jay Leno. I like them on the same network because I feel that they define NBC, an American television subculture," explained Bryane Michael '95.

Letterman's 11 years with NBC an American television subculture," explainedBryane Michael '95.

Letterman's 11 years with NBC were part of thelatest of the network's many decades of firmcontrol over the post-prime time hours.

CBS, by contrast, has been unable to establisha strong late night following. In the past, manyCBS affiliates, including local station WDHD, havepassed up network programming and opted insteadfor higher revenue generated by syndicatedprogramming.

Cathy Perron, program director for Boston CBSaffiliate WDHD-TV channel 7, said she was "veryexcited" about Letterman coming to CBS.

Interviewed before any sort of officialannouncement had been made to the affiliates,Perron was unable to say for sure whether thestation would drop its current lineup in favor ofLetterman, but said they would certainly take a"long hard look" at doing so. She described theshow as "an important project for CBS and for ourstation as well."

NBC Entertainment president Warren Littlefieldsaid Letterman's slot will be filled by a comedyproduced by Lorne Michaels