ROTC Unaffected by Court Ruling

Committee Chair: Decision May Delay Termination of Payments

By Anna D. Wilde

A California federal judge's ruling that the military ban on gays is unconstitutional will probably have no immediate effect on Harvard's ROTC policy, according to University ROTC Committee Chair Sidney Verba '53.

But Verba, who is a Pforzheimer University professor, yesterday said the ruling may delay the termination of Harvard's annual payments to the MIT ROTC unit. The committee's report recommends a year-long wait before funding is cut if changes in the military policy seem likely.

In response to the ruling by Judge Terry J. Hatter of Federal District Court in Los Angeles, the military services have stopped all discharges or other sanctions against gay service members. The case is under appeal.

"This court case is certainly an encouraging sign," Verba said. "Before this case, I would have said it looked like nothing was changing."

He added, however, that the California case is not a final word and the appeals process could reach all the way to the Supreme Court.

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57, who was a member of the ROTC committee, said he is "not sure one can wait that long before making a decision."

"It depends, I expect, on the likelihood of the timing of the [final] decision," Jewett said.

The issue of Harvard's affiliation with ROTC, which has been a controversy at Harvard since 1969, is still an emotional one for many, according to Thurston Smith, who is director of the Harvard Gay, Bisexual and Lesbian Network.

"I think people...continue to see this as a major symbol for gay rights and a major test at Harvard," he said.

But Harvard's gay community will not immediately pressure the administration to cut the University's ties to MIT's program, according to Smith. "[The decision] is not enough to base any action on," he said.