Harvard Soccer Teams Turn in Big Weekend

DeLellis, Kohler Make Ivy League Honor Roll

By Y. TAREK Farouki

It was a good weekend for both the Harvard men's and women's soccer teams. The two squads scored decisive victories over Pennsylvania here in Cambridge.

In the Crimson men's 3-0 shutout of the Quakers, freshman Will Kohler scored once and fellow rookie David Bonita tallied twice.

Kohler was named to the Ivy League honor roll for his performance, and the young forward now leads the team in scoring with two goals and four assists.

The Crimson women outdid their male counterparts as they dispatched the Quakers 5-0 this weekend. Sophomore Lowell resident Katie DeLellis assisted four of those scores and made the Ivy League honor roll this week.

The win over Pennsylvania boosted Harvard to third place in the Ancient Eight behind both Dartmouth and Cornell. Both the Big Red and the Big Green have not lost yet this season, and Dartmouth (4-0 Ivy) holds a half-game lead over Cornell (3-0 Ivy).

Cornell has first place thanks to a combination of solid defense, especially goaltending, and a high powered offense. Big Red netminder junior Sue DeLong has not been scored upon in 157 minutes of playing time and received player of the week honors for her performance against Princeton and Columbia.

More impressive, however, is the Big Red attack which boasts four of the Ivy League's top 10 overall scorers.

Dartmouth is not far behind with three of the top 10 overall scoring leaders, and the Big Green also has a star goaltender in Michelle Conroy. The Big Green netminder has not been scored upon in the Ivy League and has 0.58 goals-against average overall. The irresistable force meets the immovable object in 10 days when the Big Red and the Big Green face each other in the Umbro/Cornell Classic in Ithaca, N.Y.