Brown Retains Alden Trophy

W. Harriers Defeat Brown, Shutout NU; Men Defeated

By Daniel Roeser

The Harvard cross-country teams won't be drinking from the Alden Trophy this year.

The Crimson fell short in its quest to recapture the cup from the Brown Bears yesterday in a trimeet at Franklin Park in Boston, 55-65 (the low score wins in cross-country running).

The trophy, contested each year by Harvard and Brown, is awarded to the team with the lowest combined men's and women's score.

Although the women defeated Brown, 22-37, the men could not hold the lead--losing their match 18-43 and with it, the cup.

The women also shut out Northeastern (the third team) 15-50, but the men lost to the Huskies 23-38.

"For the women, I didn't think we'd have a problem with Northeastern, but with Brown I thought it would be closer," Coach Frank Haggerty said. "I thought the men would be closer, but it didn't end up that way. We have to realize that Brown is an exceptional team this year--they're ranked in the top 20 in the country--but by the state championships I think we'll be a lot closer to them."

The Women

In the first race for Harvard's freshmen, the Crimson's young blood came to the fore. Freshman Karen Goetze finished first overall, covering the five-kilometer course in 18:35.

Griffin finished second with a time of 18:41, trailed closely by junior Kelly Benke who finished in 18:47. Junior Meredith Fitzgerald ran a 19:03 to place seventh and sophomore Megan Agy was right behind her in 19:04 to round out the Crimson's scoring.

The women's onslaught continued through the rest of the field with Harvard runners taking ninth, 10th, 15th, 17th and 18th.

The Men

Sophomore Brian Walsh led the way for the Crimson, moving up throughout the second half of the race to place fifth in the five-mile race with a time of 24:53.

Freshman Killian Lonergan paced Harvard's first-year contingent. After running in the top three for the first two miles, he held on to finish seventh with a time of 25:21. Ian Carswell was twelth in 25:42.

Sophomore Matt Bundle came in thirteenth for the Crimson in 25:48. Senior Doug Lanzo was right behind with a time of 25:53 to cap Harvard's scoring.