Tutor Will Not Comply With Dunster Master's Request

William Li Calls Liem's Appeal, to Retract a Letter Threatening Six Tutors With a Libel Suit, an `Impossibility'

By Elie G. Kaunfer

A Dunster tutor whose brother is under fire for allegedly influencing the master in his own hiring said yesterday he would not formally retract a letter from his lawyer which threatened six tutors with a libel suit.

Dunster House Master Karel F. Liem said at a public meeting last week that William W. Li '84 and Vincent W. Li '87 would retract the letter, which threatened the suit if the six tutors took "any further actions to propagate false and professionally damaging information."

But William Li called the master's request "an impossibility" yesterday.

"There will be no written retraction," William Li said. "It is absurd and impossible."

William Li said he has scheduled a meeting with Liem to discuss the matter. Vincent Li refused to comment on the issue.

A group of about 15 Dunster House residents said at a meeting Monday night they will ask the two tutors to issue "a public explanation" of their actions to students.

Ted G. Rose '94, a coordinator of Dunster Students for Free Expression, said at the group's second meeting he will approach the Li brothers this week.

"I think a lot of students in the House would like to hear their side of the story," said Rose, a former Crimson executive. "I will try to see if they can address student concerns."

The Li brothers said last night that they would cooperate with the request.

"I would be happy to publicly explain to the Dunster community my perspectives on the tension at Dunster and what my role may or may not have been," William Li said.

"I think communication is a good thing," Vincent Li said. "I hope something positive comes out of that."

Students also decided to hold a meeting sponsored by the Dunster's house committee next Thursday to discuss changes in the tutor hiring process.

"Hopefully that will be a chance for all students to come together, bring ideas and completely change the system to be whatever they want it to be,"Rose said.

Some students at Monday night's meeting favoredasking the Li brothers to formally apologize tostudents.

"We really think Vince and Will should saysomething," said one student at the meeting. "Theydefinitely should make some sort of apology."

But Rose said he would not demand an apologyfrom the Li brothers. And Vincent Li saidyesterday he would not issue an apology tostudents.

"I am not the troublemaker," he said. "I don'tsee why an apology would be in order."

William Li also said he would not apologize tostudents.

"No apology will be forthcoming," he said. "Itis inconceivable to me that students would want meto formally apologize to them because I had noquarrel with them."

Eight tutors said last year that Vincent Li,the assistant senior tutor in charge of hiring,had influenced Liem in the hiring of Li's brother,girlfriend and two longtime friends. Li waspresent at the student job interview of hisbrother, William Li.

Liem said at a meeting last week he was open tostudent suggestions, but would probably notimplement them this year. Liem could not bereached for comment yesterday.

Rose also said he would put pressure on Dean ofthe College L. Fred Jewett '57 to issue a reportsoon about his investigation of the Dunster Housetutor situation.

"There is support for some finality on theissue in Dunster House," Rose said. "Dean Jewettis probably the best person to deliver thatfinality."

Jewett said in an interview two weeks ago thathe would issue a report to students by the end ofOctober