Prof. Sues UNH Over Free Speech

30-Year Faculty Member Was Suspended for Harassment

By Marios V. Broustas

A University of New Hampshire professor has filed suit in federal court charging university officials with violating his right to free speech.

J. Donald Silva, a tenured writing and communications professor of 30 years at the Thompson School of Applied Science, was suspended by the university in April after he made remarks in class which several students and a faculty member deemed sexual harassment.

Silva has associated himself with a conservative academic freedom group in Washington, D.C. called the Center for Individual Rights. He is attempting to recoup $42,355 in lost salary, achieve the lifting of university sanctions imposed against him and gain further unspecified compensation, The Boston Globe reported yesterday.

"We are representing him because we feel his academic freedoms have been violated," said Meredith Copeland, a spokesperson for the Center for Individual Rights.

In an interview yesterday, Ronald Rogers, the University of New Hampshire system's general counsel, called the suit "an attempt by Silva's representatives to fight the case in the media."

Rogers said he has not yet been served with the suit and is not aware of Silva's specific allegations. Rogers further said the university's sexual harrasment policy was set up in compliance with federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission guidelines.

In a February, 1992 writing class, Silva compared "focus in the writing process" to sexual relationships. To illustrate the proper use of a simile, Silva used the example of "belly-dancing is like Jell-O on a plate with a vibrator under the plate," according to court documents.

Six students complained and they were joined by another faculty member. Several more students and parents became involved, The Globe reported.

According to the complaint, Brian Giles, head of the Thompson School, brought charges against Silva in April for "creating an intimidating, hostile and offensive environment in class."