Dean (Name: Knowles) Is Spooky; Let Him R.I.P.

On All Hallows' Eve, a Trip to Three Homes Brings Tombstones, 'P.C. Apples' and Rain

By Todd F. Braunstein

Although they're usually hounding sources for a quick quote, a band of Crimson reporters and editors dropped in last night on the homes of several faculty members with a different kind of request: they wanted candy.

Braving the "cold, rain and bitter wind," in the words of Managing Editor Gady A. Epstein '94, nine Crimsonites participated in the newspaper's annual trick-or-treat fest, making rounds at the homes of four administrators and professors.

Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Jeremy R. Knowles greeted the trick-or-treaters with two tombstones. One bid the reporters to "Let the Dean R.I.P." The other took a playful swipe at the newspaper's credibility: "The Crimson," read the inscription. "Veritas?"

How much time did Knowles spend preparing the signs? "They were actually for last year," he said, "but you didn't show up, so I was mortified. Write that down. `The Dean was mortified."'

Kenan Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield Jr. '53 was in good spirits despite being kept from enjoying his favorite television show, "The Simpsons." He even offered the reporters a choice of Halloween goodies, politically correct and other.

"I have two bowls here," he informed the trick-or-treaters. "Apples for p.c. types and candy for regular people."

Radcliffe President Linda S. Wilson was doing something slightly more mundane when the band of Crimson reporters came to her door--she was talking on the phone to her sister. But she also provided a nice "It's really p.c. and everything"assortment of candy.

The final stop on the reporters' trek was theQuincy House residence of Dean of Students ArchieC. Epps III. But the Dean's son answered the doorand told the reporters that Epps wasn't at home.Even so, the Crimsonites agreed the reception ofSnickers bars and Skittles was well worth the wetjourney.

The usual visit to the home of Neil L.Rudenstine was not made because the President wasout of town. Officially, Rudenstine was away onbusiness, but Knowles had a different explanation:"He fled.