Harvard Fans Had Good Time Anyway

Undaunted by Loss

By Jeffrey C. Milder

Harvard students returned from The Game in New Haven this weekend more enthusiastic about the fun they had than disappointed about the Crimson's 33-31 defeat.

While The Game traditionally highlights the longstanding Harvard-Yale rivalry, students said that Crimson and Blue rarely mixed, and that when they did, emotions and tempers were usually subdued.

Undergraduate Council President Carey W. Gabay '94 described the atmosphere as "teasing but friendly."

Jason M. Gross '94 said fans generally kept to their respective sides of the field during The Game.

Most Harvard fans seemed more interested in enjoying themselves than in asserting their school's superiority, students said.

"There wasn't much trash talking before the game," said Gross. "There was more jarring about the B.C.-Notre Dame game than the Harvard-Yale game."

"Actually it was pretty mellow," said Jessica Vando '96, who lives in Lowell House. "I expected Harvard to be rowdier."

As usual, tailgating caught students' interest more than The Game itself. Gross said the tailgate parties helped unite the Harvard community before The Game.

"All of Harvard--students and graduates--congregated together" at the row of trailers that served food and beer, Gross said.

"It was really fun because all the Harvard students were in one place," said Vando.

Stephanie A. Nonas '95, who lives in Leverett House, said she was pleasantly surprised at the pre-game offerings. "It was unbelievable," she said. "There was enough food for everyone."

But students didn't limit their partying to Saturday morning. Many went to Yale fraternity parties, while some also explored the bars and clubs in New Haven.

"We hit the bars and frat parties until 5 o'clock, then we woke up and went to the tailgates," said Gross.

While many students drove to New Haven or hitched rides with their friends, about 600 students took advantage of the Undergraduate Council shuttle buses.

Gabay, who rode the shuttle bus to and from New Haven, said that everyone he talked to was happy with the service.

"The trip took two-and-a-half hours instead of the usual three or four hours," he said. "I think the shuttle was a real success."