Campbell Takes Over Captain's Job

MEN'S BASKETBALL NOTEBOOK

By Peter K. Han

Replacing the third-leading scorer in Harvard men's basketball history sounds like a tall task, but the shortest man on this year's team is up to the job: After just a few days of practice, new team captain Tarik Campbell is drawing rave reviews.

"He's a great captain, no doubt," said Coach Frank Sullivan of the explosive 5'10" point guard. "Before [the coaching staff] was allowed to work with the players, Tarik was in charge of getting them together to play informally a few times a week, and he's been really good at communicating his teammates' concerns to us."

While Harvard's first official practice for the 1993-94 season took place only this past Saturday, Campbell has already shown a distinctive style.

"Last year, [captain] Tyler [Rullman '93] was more of a quiet guy," sophomore Mike Gilmore said. "He led a lot just by example. But Tarik's a lot more vocal, more energetic."

While it's doubtful that Tarik will finish second in the Ivy League scoring race as Rullman did, his leadership has produced a squad that strikes many of its players as more cohesive.

"We're a lot friendlier with each other," sophomore Terry Mann said. "It seems like we're playing better together, too."

With the team coming off of two consecutive 6-20 seasons, those words can only comfort win-starved Harvard fans.

Fast Start

Sullivan and his troops got the first practice of the season off to a brisk start on Saturday, with several players noticeably fitter than at this time last season. The coach pointed to the six-week preseason conditioning program as the reason.

"We streamlined the program this year so that it was more convenient for the players but still effective in conditioning them," Sullivan said. "We had them running, lifting and doing quickness and agility drills."

Sullivan even had his team attending two-a-day practices on Saturday and Sunday before going back to its normal one-a-day routine this week.

Oh, the Numbers

With 20--that's right, 20--players currently on the varsity roster, several team members will inevitably have to move to the junior varsity.

Sullivan indicated that he would shrink the roster soon.

"We will be making some moves, possibly by the end of this week," he said. "We'll be moving some players down to JV, but not necessarily permanently. One of our goals this season is to make the JV more competitive, and some good players will be moved onto that team."

The huge roster has created a highly competitive atmosphere, particularly at the guard positions.

"It's good, in a way," junior Jared Leake said. "It produces sort of a friendly competition, where everyone is trying their best and coming to play every day."

Fixed Leake

Speaking of Leake, he has emerged as one of the pleasant surprises of the preseason. After a lackluster season last year (when he was hampered by a nagging hamstring injury) Leake has impressed coaches and teammates alike this year with flashes of his former self.

As a freshman two years ago, the 6'1" guard was thrust into a starting role when Campbell took the season off. He performed admirably, starting all 26 contests in Sullivan's first year as head coach.

Now, he looks ready for more.

"You could say I reasserted myself," Leake said. "I did a lot of lifting, running and shooting this summer. I knew I should be contending for a spot, and I felt like I let the team down last year."

The New York City native pointed to his father as his primary inspiration. "My dad told me to get my priorities back. He said I needed to get my game back in shape, and he sets a really good example by always working hard. I didn't want to let him down, either."

Meanwhile, Overseas...

Of the three seniors on last year's team, two are now playing professionally.

Rullman (and his 1,577 career points) have gone to Ireland, while Arturo Llopis '93, the 6'10" center who led the Ivies in rebounding last year, is playing in Spain.

The third former senior, forward Eric Carter '93, is still at Harvard, taking his last semester of classes.

Odds and Ends

Schedule Moves: Sullivan said that this will be the last year that Harvard plays Fairfield. Fairfield will be replaced by Army from next season on. Navy will added to Harvard's schedule in two years, replacing Hartford....The six freshmen on this year's roster have shown impressive work habits thus far, with 6'5" forward Kyle Snowden drawing particular mention....Junior Kevin Fricka, a transfer from Army, has emerged as a top candidate for the starting center's job. He started for Army two years ago, averaging 4.5 ppg and 3.4 rpg. His reputation as a tough player prompted one Harvard teammate to note on Tuesday, "you definitely know where he is on the court at all times. You don't want to catch one of his elbows."