Election Day Choices

Voters, Candidates, Pollworkers Enjoy Day

By Christopher Ortega

Expressing their views on issues ranging from rent control to the economy to the environment, thousands of Cantabrigians fulfilled their civic duties yesterday by voting for city councillors and school committee members.

Wardens at several precincts said that turnout was low this year because only local issues were at stake.

"It's been very slow here," said Eileen L. Schaub, warden at the Larsen Hall precinct. "People aren't hooked by local issues. With a national candidates there is a large turnout."

Nellie M. Edey, warden at the Youville Hospital polling site, said today's voting went as expected.

"We have opened about one-third of our ballots," Edey said. "It's been very quiet."

Councillor Timothy J. Toomey, Jr., campaigning in the Harrington School precinct, said the low turnout could also be the result of recent redistricting.

"I expected a bigger turnout," Toomey said. "There has been some confusion about where to vote, and there just didn't seem to be enough advance notice."

Harvard students once again had a poor showing at the polls. Projected voter turnout for the polls located at Quincy House was approximately 120 out of 758 eligible voters, said Peter Scheinfeld, an election official. The actual turnout was a mere 92.

But Scheinfeld said Harvard students showed a dramatic improvement from the mere 22 ballots cast at the Quincy House polls two years ago for a presidential primary.

The majority of voters in the middle of the day were elderly. Many of these midday voters were concerned about rent control.

"Although I was originally for rent control, it has gotten out of control," said J. Jackie Limberakis.

These sentiments were echoed by Scheinfeld, who predicted that Councillor William H. Walsh will succeed in his reelection bid despite facing 59 felony counts, because "he speaks up for the small property owner."

But concern over rent control was not the only factor that brought out the voters yesterday.

Alan Ackerman, a resident tutor at Kirkland House, said he was at the polls to participate in "the democratic process."

Elizabeth Kline, who was holding a sign for Francis H. Duehay '55 outside the Peabody School, said this year's municipal elections were the most interesting in recent history because of the large number of candidates.

"I was looking at the environment, careful economic development, and good public education," said Kline, "but with 29 candidates it's been exciting to learn about all of their positions."

Henry C. Whittlesey '88-'93 said political activism in his neighborhood led to his interest in local politics.

"There's the Alliance for Change created by my neighbor," Whittlesey said. "We talk about politics quite a bit, and Cambridge politics now mean a lot to me. I believe the election's about the budget and rent control."

Pamela Massey, voting at the Peabody School, said she cast her votes for candidates who would protect the rights of her dog.

"My concern is people who are dog-friendly," she said. "There are 4,000 licensed dogs in the city but not one licensed dog park."

She wouldn't say which candidates they were, but she said there were a few who had proven themselves to be "dog-friendly."

The election also drew a select group of committed citizens who spent a day running the polling operation.

Alida M. Daly, warden at the North Prospect Church polling site, said she had worked at polling sites in Cambridge for more than 40 years. "I love it," she said.

Cathy Ausrotis, a worker at the Peabody precinct, said she felt it was her duty to work at the polls.

"I've been doing this for about 15 years," she said. "I feel it's my civic contribution."

James Freeman, an architect, said he chose to work at the Peabody precinct in order to meet fellow Cantabrigians.

"I get a sense of the neighborhood and see my neighbors," he said. "It was not hard for me to take a day off work."

But Ann R. Marchessault was a warden "for the money." (Workers are paid $6 an hour, and get a free lunch, too.)

Candidates and supporters were also out in full force, campaigning at a 150-foot distance from the polls.

Council candidate Michael A. Baldasaro, grandson of former Cambridge mayor Alfred E. Vellucci, told voters outside the Peabody School that he wants to work for the people.

"There's a major housing and job problem," Baldasaro said. "It's all rhetoric to most candidates. I'm out here to make sure people follow this line. I have a sixth sense this is my year."

Baldasaro said he hopes to protect citizens from crime.

"If [mayoral candidate Thomas M.] Menino clears Boston, we're not prepared to stop it," he said. "You students are our citizens, and we must protect you."

Baldasaro said that if elected, he will campaign to increase enforcement of Massachusetts alcohol laws on college campuses.

"Alcohol brings up rape and date rape," he said. "We have to curtail the sale of alcohol to students."

Candidate Kathy Born said her endorsement by several citizens groups was the key to her campaign.

"I think turnout is middle to low, and it's good if we can get our number one's out," Born said. "Being on many slates has helped me."

But C. Brendan Noonan, a supporter of Michael A. Sullivan, suggested Born's endorsement on the Cambridge Civic Association [CCA] slate may hurt her chances.

Noonan said, "The independents are tired of getting kicked around, and CCA supporters are not coming out this year."

Many supporters who campaigned for their city council hopefuls outside polling stations today were either related to or friends of the candidates.

"Different times of life I needed help, and the Sullivans were there for me," said Steven J. Powers, a Sullivan supporter.

Jon W. Holmes, a writer campaigning for Tom Weed, said his friendship for the candidate brought him into the cold.

"I've been here since 7:30 this morning for my friend Tom Weed," he said. "I do political stuff all the time. This year more people are working harder to get elected."

Lou Leahy, Kathy Born's father, stood outside the Peabody precinct holding a sign reading, "Vote for My Daughter."

Leahy said that Eunice and Pat Kennedy's campaigning for John F. Kennedy '40 led him to come out to support his daughter.

"If the Kennedys can do it, that's a good direction for us to take," Leahy said.

Political activists circulated petitions at various polling locations.

Chip W. Hellar '96 was circulating a petition at the Peabody School precinct to use money from the gasoline tax to finance road and bridge repairs and create jobs.

"I was contracted to do this petition, but I believe in it," he said.

Evelyn N. Godinho circulated an initiative outside the Harrington School precinct to create a graduated income tax in Massachusetts.

"I belong to TEAM [Tax Equity Alliance for Massachusetts]," Godinho said. "The Massachusetts tax system is stacked against the middle class and the poor."

One Cambridge police officer was stationed at each precinct to ensure that proper election procedures were followed.

Patrol officer Jay P. Lyons, stationed at the Youville Hospital, said he enjoys the change of pace that an Election Day provides.

"It's been pretty quiet, but I don't mind it," Lyons said. "My main function is to keep [campaign supporters] 150 feet from the buildings, but they have been very orderly."

Now candidates must wait to see the election results tabulated under Cambridge's proportional representation system.

"We have a very arcane counting system," Schaub said. "It takes a week until we learn who's been voted in."