Gore to Speak at Harvard on Monday

Audience for Vice President's Speech Limited to 500 Total, 150 Undergraduates

By Sandhya R. Rao

Vice President Al Gore '69 will speak at the Kennedy School of Government Monday about empowering communities through citizens' involvement in local political and social life.

The recently scheduled event will take place in the Kennedy School's Arco Forum, where a limited audience of more than 500 faculty and students will congregate at 2 p.m.

Gore's speech will focus on "how people can take control of their own existence through community involvement," said John Toohey, a Gore spokesperson.

"As a Harvard graduate there has been a long-standing invitation to come to Harvard," Toohey said. "It's a serious issue and he wanted it to be in a serious environment."

The speech will be followed by a question and answer session with the audience.

Most tickets will be given to faculty and students at the Kennedy School on a first-come first-serve basis. The Student Advisory Committee of the Institute of Politics (IOP) has been allotted 150 tickets for distribution to undergraduates.

About 75 tickets will be given to students involved with the IOP. Seventy-five political and ethnic campus organizations and student publications will each receive one ticket, according to Elizabeth R. Caputo '94.

Gore has addressed the issue of reinventing politics before, said Caputo, who heard him speak on the topic last summer. Gore will speak on the same issue on December 7 in Philadelphia, according to a White House media advisory.

No plans for a gathering with Gore after the speech have been made due to his hectic schedule, Toohey said.

The vice president will be attending afundraiser for U.S. Rep. Martin J. Meehan inBoston as well as a fundraiser for Gov. BruceSundlin of Rhode Island early next week, accordingto Heather P. Campion, Forum director of the IOP.

Dunster House Master Karel F. Liem said he andthe house's student committee will discuss plansto hold a ceremony in honor of Gore, a formerresident of the house.

The vice president will be staying at the ParkPlaza Hotel in Boston, according to Campion.

The security division of the Harvard Police hasbeen holding constant briefings with the U.S.Secret Service to provide "appropriate security"for the event, said Kennedy School spokespersonSteven Singer.

The security for the event will be handled in a"joint venture between the United States SecretService, Harvard Police, Cambridge Police, andMassachusetts State Police," said Harvard's ActingChief of Police Lawrence J. Murphy. "There isusually one representative from each organizationin the motorcade," Murphy said.

A police officer will be stationed at everydoor of the Kennedy School to secure the buildingoff. Police will also be stationed inside theforum.

Other security measures, including installingmetal detectors at the entrance of the forum, havenot been finalized, Murphy said