Fund for Fire Victims Tops Goal

By Julie H. Park

More than $80,000 has been raised to help victims of the October Central Square fire which displaced 120 people, a relief organizer said yesterday.

Individual families affected by the fire received checks for between $700 and $3,600 prorated for the number of family members, according to Carl F. Barron, president of the Central Square Association.

The $83,000 raised, which surpassed the original goal of $50,000, consisted of donations from private individuals, institutions and corporations which started at five dollars and ranged into the thousands. The University donated $5,000 to the effort.

The eight alarm blaze early in October completely destroyed a five-story brick apartment building and severely damaged another. No one was hurt in the fire, which left 120 people homeless.

The approximately 40 families affected "were left with absolutely nothing," according to Barron.

The American Red Cross provided standard emergency services such as food and clothing vouchers, new medical prescriptions and tools and materials for use on the job.

The Red Cross' financial investment has been more than $50,000, according to Red Cross spokesperson Barbara E. Platt.

"We still consider this an ongoing case," said Platt, who stressed the Red Cross's mission to provide basic needs for victims of emergencies.

Cambridge Housing Authority spokesperson Michael J. Johnston was unable yesterday to provide the exact status of the displaced families, but he said the families have been provided for through public housing or subsidized leased housing.

Johnston said all the agencies involved with housing the families did "a great job." He told of one landlord who took several families "sight unseen" because of the need for housing.

Barron said the community has been generous in contributing to the fundraising efforts.

"Nobody asked about race or religion," Barron said. "Even more important than the money was the willingness of people to pitch in to help when others needed it."