Film Crew Takes Over Plympton

By Elie G. Kaunfer

Charles D. Guerrero '93 couldn't take his usual route to work yesterday.

"I started yelling at the guys who were making the movie," he said. "I said, 'I can't believe I can't walk through on my own streets."'

Guerrero was among the many Adams House residents and other students angry with the crew of the movie "With Honors," which forced students to take detours when it blocked Plympton Street from 5 p.m. until 10 p.m. yesterday.

The crew also locked the entrances of Quincy House and other houses, forcing students to exit through back gates.

Crew members interviewed last night said students had been very co-operative and expressed sorrow for any inconvenience.

"This part of the scene was supposed to be really quiet so we wanted to keep the students away", said a production assistant who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "It was supposed to be late at night with no one around."

Sarah E. Funke '95 said she had to resort to using the Adams House tunnels to maneuver her way from G entry to the dining hall.

"It's so annoying", Funke said. "Did they buy the street or what?"

The movie also caused many students to come late for a dress rehearsal of the play Deathwatch, said Julie W. Caldwell '94, the play's producer.

"Several of the members of the cast had difficulty getting here," she said. "They didn't have keys to any entryway besides C."

And cast members of Ugly Ever After, rehearsing in Adams C entry, were also upset at the inconvenience.

"We pay $20,000 a year and we can't walk here," Elizabeth M. Price '95 said.

Preparations for the 15-second scene began at 3 p.m., when a truck with the motto "There's no business like snow business" painted on its side started to spray shaved ice in order to make fake snow.

A few hours later, fresh powder covered Plympton Street, and Cambridge and Harvard Police helped crew members keep students off the street.

Cameras started to roll at about 9 p.m., when Brandon Fraser and Moria Kelly walked up Plympton Street fighting a strong breeze created by a wind machine.

Two hours later, two Cambridge Public Works trucks plowed the street, and crews moved the equipment to Mass. Ave., the sight of the next scene.

Crew members said lighting problems delayed the shooting of the scene. Crew members entered Adams C-56 four times looking for a light which was disturbing the shoot.

"They came up here and asked us to shut off our lights", Courtney T. Pyle '93 said. "But they've been completely nice. They were angels.