Civilian Review Board Rules Against Officer

By Andrew L. Wright

A Cambridge police officer used excessive force in the May 22 arrest of a Howard University student in Cambridge, according to the Cambridge Police Review and Advisory Board.

In a letter to Police Commissioner Perry L. Anderson, chair of the civilian review panel Dennis J. Kelly wrote that "the arrest was probably made for vindictive and inappropriate reasons."

According to police reports, Officer Ronald Yusam responded to complaints of excessive noise, entered a private party and arrested Karimu J. Rashad, 19.

Four days after the incident, Rashad alleged that Yusam had harassed him and that the officer had illegally searched the premises.

Although about 100 people, many of whom were under the age of 21, were consuming alcoholic beverages at the party, Yusam charged only Rashad with disorderly conduct.

Rashad filed a complaint against the officer with the police department.

In his letter, Kelly wrote that Rashad challenged the officer's authority to search the house because the officer did not have a warrant.

After reviewing the case, the board concluded that there was no probable cause for the officer's arrest of Rashad on the disorderly conduct charge.

And even if Yusam had probable cause to arrest Rashad for illegal possession of alcohol, the board ruled that the arrest was likely made for other "reasons, i.e., to punish Mr. Rashad for commenting that the police could not come into the house without a search warrant."

Rashad could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The board found Yusam responsible "for the inappropriate use of force on the evening in question, or the use of excessive force on the evening in question."

The board upheld Rashad's verbal challenge to Yusam as "constitutionally protected speech," Kelly wrote. Yusam's refusal to testify despite repeated requests by the board elicited an "adverse" reaction from members, Kelly wrote.

The board also found that the incident was not racially motivated. Yusam is white and Rashad is Black.

In light of its findings, the board recommended that a letter of reprimand be placed in Yusam's personnel file and remain there for two years.

Yusam could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The board also recommended that the Police Commissioner organize an interactive community youth forum, with Yusam's participation.

Detective Frank Pasquarello, a spokesperson for the Cambridge Police Department, said yesterday that Police Commissioner Perry L. Anderson had read the review board's preliminary report.

But Pasquarello said the Commissioner would wait to read the board's full report before commenting