Law Students Hold Vigil for Mackinnon

Urge Faculty to Tenure Feminist Scholar

By Rajath Shourie

Prompted by rumors that the Law School might tenure a pre-eminent feminist legal scholar, about 35 students held a supportive silent vigil yesterday in Pound Hall.

As they flanked the path that professors would have to walk between lunch and their customary Friday faculty meeting, the students held placards endorsing the supposed tenure offer to University of Michigan law professor Catharine A. Mackinnon--and urging greater faculty diversity.

The faculty was to discuss Mackinnon's candidacy at the meeting, said third-year law student Lucy Koh. Koh is a member of the Coalition for Civil Rights, which organized the demonstration.

Carter Professor of General Jurisprudence Charles Fried, a member of the Appointments Committee, told The Crimson earlier this week that it was "just a rumor" that Harvard was offering Mackinnon tenure.

The protest was delayed by 15 minutes when professors sent a message to the students that the faculty meeting would begin later than expected.

Interspersed among the "Women of color teaching at Harvard Law School: O" placards that confronted the faculty members when they arrived for the meeting were ones that read, "Catharine Mackinnon, Yes!"

Mackinnon, who already has tenure at Michigan, is the author of the influential "Toward A Feminist Theory of the State," and is widely respected in her field.

Most of the law professors who came to the meeting walked straight by the demonstrators, but some stopped to read the placards and talk to the students.

Some professors laughed at placards saying, "Reason #73 to diversify the faculty: If there is another sit-in Bob Clark will have to shave his head." Other signs made further reference to Law School Dean Robert C. Clark's newly shaven face. Clark reportedly shaved his beard to soften his image in the eyes of the community.

The professors' reactions to the Mackinnon placards differed. While some, like Professor of Law Randall L. Kennedy, wished the students good luck, others, like Professor of Law Alan M. Dershowitz, said that offering Mackinnon tenure was "not even in question."

Professor of Law Paul C. Weiler, who chairs the Appointments Committee, declined to comment. Through his secretary, Weiler said that he would not make any statement on cases "under consideration."

The students at the protest said they believed the faculty would vote on Mackinnon's case on March 12.