Shooting Suspects Charged

Youths Arraigned for Assault, Possession of Deadly Weapon

By Andrew L. Wright

Four suspects were arraigned yesterday on charges ranging from assault with intent to murder to unlawful possession of a stun-gun in connection with the Friday night shooting in Harvard Square, according to Cambridge police detective Frank Pasquarello.

The suspects who smashed the windows and crushed the roof of a vehicle involved in the incident also have been charged with malicious destruction of property, Pasquarello said.

Rosalyn Rosado of Dorchester was arraigned and released yesterday after posting $2,000 bail, according to the Cambridge District Attorney's office. The spokesperson did not say on what charge Rosado was arraigned.

Jonathan Splaine of Cambridge was arraigned on a charge of malicious destruction and released on his own recognizance, the spokesperson said.

Eyewitnesses said the Friday night shooting began when a number of young men stepped out of a maroon Volkswagen Jetta GL and began firing.

Minutes later, the Jetta reappeared at the intersection of Brattle and JFK Streets and was attacked by young men, witnesses said.

"The ones they were shooting at ran to the car and began to destory it," a spokesperson in the District Attorney's office said yesterday.

The shooting shattered a BayBank window and scared bystanders, but injured no one.

Cambridge police said the incident, while not gang related, was a result of "bad blood" between two groups of youths. The shooting stemmed from an incident between the groups two weeks ago in Arlington, Pasquarello said.

"They knew each other," Pasquarello said. "They just happened to meet in the Square." Arlington police are investigating the incident from two weeks ago, he said.

Neither Rosado nor Splaine could be reached for comment yesterday.

Two other suspects, whose names could not be released because they are juveniles, were also arraigned yesterday. Three other suspects were charged with various crimes.

The complete roster of the adult suspects' names and the charges could not be obtained yesterday.

Lt. John F. Rooney of the Harvard police said yesterday that the quick police response to the incident was due to a regular anti-crime patrol. Two or three undercover Harvard police officers regularly patrol the Square on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights as part of a special task force, Rooney said.

In addition to the assault with intent to murder charges and the unlawful possession of a stun-gun charge, two of the four suspects who were arraigned, of whom two were male and two female, were charged with disturbing the peace, Pasquarello said. Other charges included unlawful possession of ammunition and malicious destruction of property.

The seven charged were from Arlington, Cambridge, South Boston, Somerville and Woburn, Pasquarello said. "They're quite an array of characters," he said.

Police recovered a plastic replica of a firearm from one of two youths arrested seconds before the shooting occurred, Pasquarello said. The .38 caliber gun used in the incident had not been recovered, he said. The stun-gun is the third gun or gun-like object involved in the Friday night incident