Netwomen Smash Providence In Opener at Palmer-Dixon

Crimson Sweep Doubles Matches, Win Five of Six Singles

By Y. TAREK Farouki

The Harvard women's tennis team opened its spring season yesterday against Providence, and the Crimson did it in style.

Harvard sent Providence packing to Rhode Island, handing it a 6-1 loss at the Palmer-Dixon tennis courts.

The two teams played the contest according to the men's professional format, which means that the squad winning two out of three doubles matches gets only one point for doubles which is then added to the singles scores.

Although many players said they dislike the system because it undermines one of Harvard's strongest areas, its double play, the Crimson nevertheless had no trouble dispatching its opponents.

"I thought it was a really good opener for us," freshman Kelly Granat said. "We all came out and played very well."

Harvard won all three doubles matches and won five out of six singles. The only loss came at the number one position, where junior Co-Captain Eliza Parker lost a long and close three set contest 5-7, 6-3, 6-3 to Providence's Kristen Brooks who is ranked 24th in the East.

But Parker, along with partner sophomore Kendra Harris edged out Brooks and Hilary Debs in the doubles match, 9-7. Harris also won her singles contest at the number three spot, 7-5, 6-3, over Jen Dullea.

The Crimson came into the match today with the shadow of a fall season riddled with injuries and internal problems hanging over it. Players said, however, that they have been trying to put all that behind them and this win helps.

"A lot of people had been having a negative sense about the spring season because of all the injuries and things," Granat said. "But it was good to get a win and it helps us stay positive."

Granat, who played at the number two spot behind Parker breezed through her doubles match with partner junior Co-Captain Melissa McNabb 8-3, and then outclassed her singles opponent, 7-5, 6-1. Two players made unexpected returns to the courts yesterday and also came out with wins. Harvard Coach Gordon Graham gave freshman Erica Cheng and Katie Hatch the call, and both rookies had no problems with their Providence opponents.

"I was really excited because I've been injured," Cheng said. "Coach called me and said he was putting me in the lineup and I felt really good out there."

Cheng spanked Hilary Debs, 6-2, 6-1 and said that the stress fracture in her left foot that had kept her from playing earlier this year, gave her no problems yesterday. Hatch also won her match handily, 6-2, 6-0.

NOTES: The Crimson is gearing up for its California trip over Spring Break, in which it will face some tough competition before starting the Ivy League season. Harvard just hopes to benefit from the high level of play an come back to an Ancient Eight that has no dominant team this year. Several members of last year's team have decided not to play for various reasons. Players said they have to fill the voids created and keep on playing.

"It's a little disheartening," Harris said. "But it has brought the team closer together."