Allocates Nearly $33,000

By Ivy A. Wang

The Undergraduate Council last night approved a spring grants package of more than $30,000 and, after contentious debate, allotted funds to next month's Rock for Shelter concert.

In two hours spent on allocating a total of $32,980.08, the council appeared to base its decisions on making individual grants on each organization's self sufficiency, campus history, and undergraduate involvement.

"We like to see financial responsibility, impact on the Harvard community, and very well organized [groups]," said Rene Reyes '95, chair of the council's finance committee.

No individual grant exceeded $1000, with Safety Walk and the Television Organization receiving the largest amounts, $966.90 and $950 respectively.

Approximately $1,200 was added to the grants package proposed by the finance committee during the amendments process.

Former council chair David A. Aronberg '93 raised questions about the money some organizations receive from the Harvard Foundation--money that was not disclosed in the groups' grant applications. The council decided to grant these groups funds, but Council Chair Michael P. Beys '94 said he and others will look further into the issue.

Organizations such as the Freshman Advocate, which operates under the long-established Advocate, were denied funds because of their ties to existing resources and alumni, council members said. Some members also questioned grants to Phillips Brooks House committees--especially its summer programs--because of their large budgets and small undergraduate memberships.

The council approved $1,950 for a Rock for Shelter concert on April 23. Tickets for the concert will cost seven dollars, and alcohol will be served. The concert will feature three bands--including one consisting of Harvard students--and all revenues will go directly to homeless shelters.

The entire resolution almost failed after co-sponsor Spyros Poulios '95 suggested bringing the Boston band Shockra to play the concert.

Shockra would have consumed $1,500 of a $1,950 grant to concert organizers. Social committee co-chairs David V. Bonfili '96 and Mark Connolly '96, who objected to the cost, tried to slash the total amount of the grant in an attempt to force the organizers to come up with the money themselves.

An amendment to the bill resolved an hour-long bitter debate on the issue. The amendment said the full $1,950 would be granted on the condition that organizers not invite Shockra