Students Robbed In Radcliffe Quad

Two Held at Knifepoint, Left Uninjured

By Andrew L. Wright

A Harvard student and his friend from Holy Cross were robbed at knifepoint in the Radcliffe Quad around 4 a.m. Saturday. Harvard police and one of the victims said yesterday.

The robber, brandishing "a knife in a threatening manner," stopped the two male students in the Hilles Library courtyard, according to the police report.

The Harvard student, who requested anonymity and declined to comment on the incident, is a resident of a Quad house.

The robber took $5 from one student and $20 from the other, Harvard police Sgt. John J. Miller said yesterday. The robber has not been apprehended, police said.

Last night, students reported increased patrols in the area, including the presence of a Harvard police van.

Safety Walk volunteer Debbie B. Stulberg '95 said the police told Safety Walk about the incident and described the robber.

"They told us to be extra careful and not afraid to use our walkie talkies," she said. The Safety Walk walkie talkies have a direct connection to the Harvard police dispatcher.

Miller said that because the incident was reported immediately, Harvard police were able to conduct a thorough search of the surrounding area.

However, the search did not lead to an arrest. "A check of the area was negative," the Harvard police report said.

The robber was described as a Black male, five feet nine inches tall, 25 years old, and 160 pounds, according to the report.

Miller and he could not discuss specific details of the police report and that the matter will be handled by the Harvard Police Criminal Investigation Division (CID)

CID will launch a full investigation of the incident today, the police said.

Neither Harvard Police Lt. John F. Rooney, the CID spokesperson, nor the Holy Cross student could be reached for comment yesterday