Law School Building Named for Lewis

By Evan J. Eason

At a ceremony attended by approximately 250 yesterday, the Law School's International Legal Studies building was renamed the Reginald F. Lewis International Law Center, the first in Harvard's history to be named after a Black person.

Lewis, who graduated from the Law School in 1968, died earlier this year at the age of 50. He was chair and chief executive officer of TLC Beatrice International, a European food company.

Last summer, Lewis donated $3 million to the Law School, the largest donation in the school's 176-year history. A portion of the grant went towards establishing a fund to support legal research relating to developing countries.

Dean of the Law School Robert C. Clark, President Neil L. Rudenstine, Lewis's classmate William C. Slattery and Lewis's two daughters spoke at the dedication of the building.

Lewis's eldest daughter, Leslie N. Lewis '95 called her father a strong believer in the importance of communication and internationalization. "My father hoped to make this center a meeting place for people from all over the world," said Lewis. "He was convinced that the mere existence of this building would make African-American students walk a little taller and work a little harder."