JFK Jr. to K-School?

New York Lawyer Could Arrive in Fall

By Marion B. Gammill

Persistent rumors notwithstanding, there is no official confirmation that John F. Kennedy, Jr. will come to the John F. Kennedy, Sr. School of Government in the fall.

Kennedy, once voted the "Sexiest Man in America" by People magazine, is resigning his post as assistant district attorney in the Manhattan District Attorney's office, according to department spokesperson Barbara Thompson.

Reports earlier this week in The Boston Globe and Newsweek suggested that Kennedy might arrive at the school named after his father this fall as an interlude in his career path.

"Sources in the D.A.'s office say he's told friends he's headed for Harvard's Kennedy School of Government," a brief in Newsweek reported.

The school, however, has denied the suggestions. Kennedy School spokesperson Steve Singer said earlier this week that he could not comment on whether Kennedy would come to the school either as a student or as an Institute of Politics Fellow. "The official word is that we don't discuss personnel or any of that stuff," Singer said.

But Singer later went further and said that Kennedy was not slated to come to the school in the fall. "The official word is that there are no plans for him to come here," he said. "We generally don't comment on these things, but in the case, everyone has taken 'no comment' to mean that he's coming. As of now, there are no plans for him to come here."

Singer, though, would not elaborate as to whether any Harvard opportunity had been offered to Kennedy, who currently sits on the board of the Institute of Politics, or whether it had been discussed.

Although Kennedy has never attended the school in any capacity, he has participated in several of the annual spring panels discussing the legacy of his father.

Other destinations such as the Justice Department or the Labor Department have been suggested for Kennedy by various media sources.

Thompson said, though, that Kennedy had not discussed his plans with others in the office.

"I don't know what his future plans are," Thompson said. "He is resigning, but he has not given us an effective date--he said he wants to wrap up his cases."