Used Books Sell for Less At PBH

By Olivia F. Gentile

Last spring, two Winthrop sophomores figured out a way to do public service, get business experience and offer Harvard students a valuable resource--all at once.

The enterprise? A sale of used course books that offers students a cheap alternative to the Coop. The proceeds will go to charity.

And now, the enterprising duo are finally in business. Sophia S. Tzeng '94-95 and Charles R. Tollinche '95 founded Enterprise for Social Action and teamed up with Phillips Brooks House to organize the sale, which will run through Tuesday at PBH.

About 2,000 books will be on the market, with 15 percent of the profits benefitting PBH programs. The remaining 85 percent will go to the book donors, who can retrieve their unsold texts.

According to shoppers yesterday, the sale is a bargain-hunter's haven, with a vast array of cheap course books for sale.

"I wish I'd waited," said Adey A.

Fisseha '95, who had already purchased herbooks full-price at the Coop and lamented themoney she could have saved. "The Coop is utterlyexpensive," Fisseha said.

About 40 PBH volunteers helped collect,transport and store the donated books fromstudents on consignment. Donors priced their ownbooks at between 20 and 70 percent of Coop rates,then handed them over to the volunteers.

From organizing the sale, Tzeng and Tollinchesaid they gained valuable experience in dealingwith people, focusing their goals and presentingproposals.

In addition to raising money for charity,Tollinche said he wants the sale to join the ranksof such annual Harvard traditions as "Love Story"and The Game