Politicians, Friends Attend Funeral for 'Tip' O'Neill

By Andrew L. Wright

Throngs of politicians, friends and family of former Speaker of the House Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill gathered in Cambridge for the Democrat's funeral here Monday morning.

Vice President Al Gore '69 and former presidents Gerald R. Ford and Jimmy Carter led a score of senators and more than 100 congressional representatives, including Senate Minority Leader Robert Dole and House GOP Leader Robert Michel. Governor William F. Weld '66 and Cambridge Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 also attended.

O'Neill, a Cambridge native famous for his maxim "All politics is local," died last Wednesday night of cardiac arrest in Boston. He was 81.

A capacity crowd of 900 mourners filled Saint John the Evangelist Church in North Cambridge, while hundreds more watched on TV monitors in the church basement or braved ten degree temperatures to listen to the service over loudspeakers set up outside.

Mass. Ave. was closed in North Cambridge for the funeral procession, which was led by a Cambridge police honor guard and representatives from each branch of the U.S. military.

O'Neill's family hugged in the bitter wind as pall-bearers carried his flag-draped coffin up the church steps.

"He was a bread and butter politician," said Senator Edward M. Kennedy '54-56 (D-Mass), in an interview with reporters on the church steps. "His loss is irreplaceable."

Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy II (D-Mass) who represents O'Neill's former district, said he was also greatly saddened by the loss. "He touched so many people," Kennedy said, adding that "Tip will live on though the example he gave."

More than 100 secret service agents as well as scores of state and city police from all surrounding towns were on hand for the funeral.

Mourners listening to the service in the cold remembered "Mr. Speaker" fondly.

"He was a piece of the great puzzle, an excellent person and a great individual," said Brett D. Allison, who had seen O'Neill just weeks ago autographing his new book at the Harvard Cooperative Society bookstore.

North Cambridge native David J. Heidt said he just wanted to pay his respects to the man who remembered to send him a card when his father died years ago. "He's an important man...the last of the old-style politicians who took any sense of credibility to their grave," Heidt said.

A Somerville woman who gave her name only as Susan L. recalled O'Neill with misting eyes.

"No matter how big he got, he still remembered who got him there, his church. He never forgot theneighborhood. You can't help but respect him," shesaid.

All Cambridge city flags were at half-mastyesterday, and Cambridge City Hall was draped inblack to mourn O'Neill's passing.

Following the funeral in Cambridge, O'Neill wasburied in a private ceremony in Harwichport, Mass.on Cape Cod